How to enable Readyboost that is disabled in error

Anonymous
2014-01-01T15:02:17+00:00

My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It has 4GB memory.

Over the holidays someone gave me a 64GB m-SATA SSD, which I put into the laptop's m-SATA slot.

On the BIOS, the info shows that the SSD occupies the SATA 0 slot. I had to re-adjust the boot order to boot normally into my system disk, which is on the SATA 1 slot.

I wanted to use the m-SATA SSD as a Readyboost cache. When I carried out the steps to enable Readyboost on the SSD, it wouldn't let me. The error message is:

This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit.

There must be some mistake because the SSD is not the system disk. It only occupies SATA slot 0 (which I cannot change). The system disk is a typical HDD.

How do I go about enabling Readyboost on the SSD? Any tweaks or commands? I have tweaked the registry many times before so if need be I could do that.

[Note: Those who want to suggest other things like sell the SSD, leave it alone, or whatever, please just heckle some other thread.]

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-06T22:06:26+00:00

Insert the flash drive or card, then right-click on it in This PC and select properties.  Open the ReadyBoost tab.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T10:42:46+00:00

    Readyboost is also useful for people working in Digital Forensics & Incident Response (like myself) as it provides information around USB sticks that can be useful. As such I have found this problem when working on Virtual Machines, and I don;t even have an SSD!

    I looked for a long time and like you got no real useful answers, usually people saying to start the Superprefetch service (already started) or to plug another USB device in (makes no difference to this error).

    So I decided to find my own solution and I believe I have found one. There is a 'rdyboost' key in the registry which holds the information about whether Readyboost should be on or off, it took quite a bit of testing and I cannot guarantee this will work on ever machine (also export the registry key before doing any changes, create restore points yada yada) but it worked on my Win8 VM and I managed to duplicate the results on my Win7 host.

    My research is on my blog here: http://hatsoffsecurity.com/2015/05/31/force-enabling-readyboost-windows-78/

    (note. I do not get paid for the blog, any advertising has nothing to do with me :) )

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-06T21:43:27+00:00

    Any answer Microsoft???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-04T13:40:06+00:00

    Going back to the original question how do we enable Readyboost?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-11T21:39:49+00:00

    To all the people who continue to ask: "why do u need ready boost,YOU DON'T NEED IT ; if u have SSD or 4GB RAM you dont need ReadyBoot"

     WAKE UP PEOPLE!! Programs like 3Ds Max use ReadyBoost as actual RAM, ie if you render a large 3D model with 4GB RAM the program will definitely crash, but if you have another 8GB ReadyBoost it will run smoothly. The SSD does not solve the problem, Paging also doesnt solve it, and to all the people who are saying well why dont you just buy some extra RAMs, the new ultrabooks come with a fixed ammount of RAMs on the motherboard, YOU CANNOT ADD RAMs, and they come with SSDs... So technically its a dead end to people who want to use their i7 ultra books for something productive and not just Facebook...

     I ask you please people to keep your answer simply to the question and help us find a solution to re-enable this feature even if we have SSD; without thinking that we are dumb or that you know more than we do!!

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments