Insert the flash drive or card, then right-click on it in This PC and select properties. Open the ReadyBoost tab.
How to enable Readyboost that is disabled in error
My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It has 4GB memory.
Over the holidays someone gave me a 64GB m-SATA SSD, which I put into the laptop's m-SATA slot.
On the BIOS, the info shows that the SSD occupies the SATA 0 slot. I had to re-adjust the boot order to boot normally into my system disk, which is on the SATA 1 slot.
I wanted to use the m-SATA SSD as a Readyboost cache. When I carried out the steps to enable Readyboost on the SSD, it wouldn't let me. The error message is:
This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost.
ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit.
There must be some mistake because the SSD is not the system disk. It only occupies SATA slot 0 (which I cannot change). The system disk is a typical HDD.
How do I go about enabling Readyboost on the SSD? Any tweaks or commands? I have tweaked the registry many times before so if need be I could do that.
[Note: Those who want to suggest other things like sell the SSD, leave it alone, or whatever, please just heckle some other thread.]
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-01-13T11:49:42+00:00 To those who continue to clog this thread with YOU DON'T NEED IT, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME kind of replies, despite my polite request to stay off in the First Thread:
I have other machines with Windows 7, running 4GB, and running Readyboost off a small, non-system SSD attached in an internal SATA port. I find that it helps with booting times and it feels faster.
Anyway, in this laptop, running Windows 8.1, the option to use Readyboost should be available. But it seems that Readyboost is detecting the non-system disk SSD connected on SATA Slot 0 as SYSTEM DISK and therefore not even making the ReadyBoost option available.
Gordon B-P and Mike Hall MVP, if you want to help me get Readyboost to work or work around the bug, I appreciate it. If you want to clog this thread with non-help and irrelevant observations, despite the fact that the issue is very clearly stated in the first post, please just stay away.
-
Anonymous
2015-08-14T18:20:49+00:00 This is not true. Readyboost gives a lot of performance improvement regardless the RAM installed. I have a Laptop with 16GB RAM and with Readyboost the difference is noticeable.
This is because the false assumption that with 4GB RAM the whole superfetch is on RAM. Right? Well if you have enough free RAM. But if you have like me Google Chrome with a lot of extensions plus a Linux virtual a machine and another for Vagrant you won't have enough space to store the superfetch cache.
Also in the "Performance Monitor" I can see my readyboost cache compressed is using 6GB. So I assume not all the cache is in RAM. Right?
Another thing I have a laptop with a slow HD (7200RPM but is still slow I don't know why). If I hibernate instead of shutting down, when it resumes the superfetch is not in RAM and it takes a while to be. Meanwhile Readyboost makes the laptop responsive.
I have found that if you use many devices (SD card + Pen drive) for readyboost you see improvement as well.
When we have antivirus and is doing some scanning the laptop can still open applications fast due to ReadyBoost.
So to all people which says ReadyBoost is a marketing feature made for 2GB RAM and older PCs including the Microsoft support one. Think again and test. Just plug an SD or Pen drive, and give ReadyBoost chance to show its potential.
Regards
-
Anonymous
2014-01-02T04:49:13+00:00 Hi M Pollack,
If your computer has a hard disk that uses solid-state drive (SSD) technology, you might not see an option to speed up your computer with ReadyBoost when you plug in a USB flash drive or flash memory card. You may instead receive the message, "Readyboost is not enabled on this computer because the system disk is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide any additional benefit." This is because some SSD drives are so fast they're unlikely to benefit from ReadyBoost.
Note:
ReadyBoost uses the Superfetch service that should be enabled and set to "Running" and "Automatic".
It might be possible that the device which you are using to enable ReadyBoost does not support this feature or it is incompatle.
However, to check if the issue is with the ReadyBoost feature please try enabling ReadyBoost using a different flash drive.
Also, 4GB of ram means that ready boost won't show you any performance increase at all.
Ready boost is designed for systems with under 2GB RAM.
Hope it helps. Please get back with the issue status.
-
Anonymous
2014-01-10T10:32:58+00:00 If you already have 4GB RAM then Readyboost will show little or no improvement.
Readyboost is designed to allow machines with <2GB RAM to run modern OS's in a reasonable manner.
I wouldn't bother with it....