Unable to connect properly to Eduroam wi-fi

Anonymous
2013-11-15T17:49:15+00:00

My University (UWE) uses eduroam for its Wi-Fi. My Surface 2 (all updates in place as of 15th November) is unable to stay connected to this service and sometimes it won't find it at all. Have tried refreshing the Surface and all forms of manual logins

  • my ITS department is also stumped. MS - please update our drivers to prevent this from happening. The Surface is the perfect Student device and many universities use eduroam and the web is awash with problems like mine, but currently I would be unable to recommend a Surface to my colleagues or students.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T05:00:58+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem with my Surface Pro with 8.1.  After extensive testing by me and my IT support team, we have concluded that the issue relates to the Marvell AVASTAR 350N card/driver.  

    My university has three wireless networks on offer and the network of choice is eduroam.  I can connect to eduroam but the connection is always limited.  Which means I can't receive email or browse the internet.

    I tried rolling back the driver without success, followed all of the MS help notes and wizards with the same result.

    We narrowed the problem to the Marvell card because inserting a WIFI dongle into the Surface Pro and it connected instantly.

    Microsoft, how can this be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T17:24:34+00:00

    Yes, it does look like a false lead - it's strange because I can connect to Eduroam on some parts of the campus without issue, but in other parts it either chucks me out or refuses to connect. If you find anything else do post!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T15:55:41+00:00

    Thanks for your input, sadly it doesn't work for me - our university's it support insists that this is due to an error in the windows 8.1 wlan driver...

    I'm still hoping to find a solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-25T10:50:17+00:00

    Try the setting on page 3 of this PDF: www.**ntu**.ac.uk/information_systems/document_uploads/133107.pdf 

    In your network settings find 'Protected EAP Properties', make the changes suggested but with your institution's address, and see if it works - I think it may have sorted me out at least in some parts of my Unit (UWE). Let me know if it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-25T10:06:41+00:00

    I can confirm the problem, can't connect my Surface Pro 2 either.

    After entering my credentials it's trying to connect but fails after some time. Everyone around me CAN use the wireless network with their cheap tablets and laptops but Microsoft's top product is useless?!

    Please fix that soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments