To be honest i dont know but when i format my computer i always upgrade to 8.1,since i bought 8 i have to upgrade to 8.1.My laptop which was upgrated to 8.1 (update 1) also has this issue so to be honest i dont have any idea.O.o
Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1
Hey all,
I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.
Things I have tried:
- I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
- I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
- A reformat also didn't fix the issue.
My specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)
i5 3570K CPU
nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)
8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-07-02T10:40:59+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-07-02T12:00:41+00:00 I also only have a Windows 8 key so I have to upgrade to 8.1 afterwards. I'm not sure the problem occurs or not for people who have a Windows 8.1 key
UPDATE: I just noticed that when enabling the option to immediately go to the Desktop instead of the Metro interface after a boot, the problem doesn't occur.
-
Anonymous
2014-07-07T14:09:16+00:00 Well it happens here no matter what >.<
-
Anonymous
2014-07-17T18:24:35+00:00 Well it happens here no matter what >.<
I meant the option in the taskbar options (rightclick on tasbkar -> Properties). There's an option there to let Windows immediately bring you to the Desktop instead of the Start Metro interface after a boot.
In case you already enabled that, then I guess the bug is really random.
Isn't there anyone from Microsoft who's trying to reproduce this?
-
Anonymous
2014-07-17T18:56:22+00:00 It is because your computer hasn't gotten around to loading all the icons for shortcuts. If you wait a second for your computer to load all the way. Watch the task manager for the disk to calm down then open the folder it should show up. After it finishes loading you can also hit f5 to refresh the file explorer and the shortcut will appear.
I am guessing that those are in the end of the load order since you don't really need an icon to use the PC. It still lists it as a shortcut. It could be that the theme hasn't finished loading but it is not a bug. Maybe a faster PC would solve it, mine is slow so I can see it others might not be able to because it loads so fast :)
Hope that info helps