Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-04-26T20:52:31+00:00

Hey all,

I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.

Things I have tried:

  1. I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
  2. I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
  3. A reformat also didn't fix the issue.

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)

i5 3570K CPU

nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)

8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-22T14:00:38+00:00

    Still no one from Microsoft who's been able to reproduce this?

    I'm kind of surprised since quite a number of people have this problem.

    To sum it up, this is all the threads I have found by now with the same issue:

    http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41987-shortcut-arrows-randomly-disappear.html

    http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39237-does-anyone-else-s-8-1-enterprise-not-show-shortcut-icons.html

    http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43335-shortcut-overlay-not-loading-automatically.html

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-desktop/problem-with-desktop-shortcut-arrow/3768e2fe-26a2-466c-af46-df7ea815fc0f

    Not to mention the people here in this thread who reported the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-23T15:00:20+00:00

    This bug is only happening in SOME shortcuts  i have,others work always fine.Its weird that no one can reproduce it OR they DONT try to produce it. :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-23T15:34:38+00:00

    I do agree with you that it doesn't occur on all shortcuts. For me, it always happens on the first two shortcuts (counting from top to bottom on the Desktop). The rest doesn't always seem to have this bug although this is very random. Opening a folder on the Desktop that contains shortcuts also shows the bug on them.

    Are there any other Microsoft support engineers who would bother trying to reproduce this bug?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T12:00:36+00:00

    Yeah that also happens on the first 2 or 3 shortcuts.This is very frustrating :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-01T16:10:00+00:00

    Hi

    Just posting to say, I also have the same issue. (win8 updated to win8.1)

    As it seams not everybody has this issue, does this only happen on pc’s that have been upgraded from win 8 ?

    Would a clean install of 8.1  (eg. 8.1 oem disk)  solve this ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments