Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-04-26T20:52:31+00:00

Hey all,

I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.

Things I have tried:

  1. I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
  2. I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
  3. A reformat also didn't fix the issue.

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)

i5 3570K CPU

nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)

8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T06:18:47+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    I tried to reproduce the issue on Windows 8.1 with latest update installed, the desktop icons are working fine. Did you check if you can reproduce the issue on another Windows 8.1 computer?

    This issue could also occur if shell32.dll is corrupted. Let's re-register it and check if it resolves the issue.

    1. Press Windows key + X
    2. Click on Command prompt(Admin)
    3. Type regsvr32 shell32.dll and press enter.
    4. Restart the computer and check.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T07:23:19+00:00

    Same issue here... Shortcut icons shown at icon properties dialog, but not in desktop. See attached image: 

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27828517/snap003.jpg

    OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro

    OS Version:                6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600

    OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

    OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation

    OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free

    BIOS Version:              American Megatrends Inc. UX32VD.214, 2013.01.29.

    My installed updates: 

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27828517/updates.txt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-08T00:20:14+00:00

    Im having the same annoying issue on both my laptop and computer.Microsoft better fix this soon cause it has been happening since upgrading to 8.1. :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-12T14:08:56+00:00

    It seems to be a known bug with Windows 8.1 although not all users have it. Hope someone from Microsoft acknowledges this is a bug and fix it. That is, if they're able to reproduce it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-15T23:06:34+00:00

    Yes they either have to fix it or help us repair it ourselves.Its getting quite annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments