Just wanted to report that my issue still isn't fixed since I got a reminder email about this question.
Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1
Hey all,
I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.
Things I have tried:
- I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
- I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
- A reformat also didn't fix the issue.
My specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)
i5 3570K CPU
nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)
8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-05-06T11:27:26+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-05-02T14:19:38+00:00 Small update:: Just found other people on this forum having the same problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-desktop/problem-with-desktop-shortcut-arrow/3768e2fe-26a2-466c-af46-df7ea815fc0f
-
Anonymous
2014-04-29T11:39:31+00:00 Hi Johnny,
I tried to reproduce the issue, but the desktop icons are working fine in my computer. So we will try some more steps.
Let’s start your computer in safe mode and check the functionality. Safe mode is diagnostic method in which basic display drivers will load when you start the computer. This will help us to find if graphics
card drivers are causing issues.
Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
I tried Safe Mode and there the issue doesn't occur on shortcuts on the Desktop. However, opening a folder on the Desktop in Safe Mode that contains shortcuts still doesn't show the shortcut arrows on the shortcuts in that folder.
I did some testing and came with the following conclusions:
- There must be more than 1 shortcut on the Desktop
- The bug happens only on the first shortcut counting from top to bottom. Sometimes it happens also on shortcuts that are right after the first one.
- The bug does not occur when enabling the option to let Windows immediately go to the Desktop after logging in. You have to boot into the modern Start Menu first and then click the Desktop tile to let the bug happen. Maybe that's why Safe Mode doesn't have that bug since it immediately brings you to the Desktop.
My first row of pictograms is as follows, maybe you could try to copy this order and see if the bug happens. The bug should then happen on the Internet Explorer icon :
Also, could you try and put a folder on the Desktop that contains shortcuts, then reboot and open that folder to see if the bug occurs on these shortcuts?
I'm starting to look like someone who's really fond of testing minor bugs here :P
-
Anonymous
2014-04-29T09:05:12+00:00 Hi Johnny,
I tried to reproduce the issue, but the desktop icons are working fine in my computer. So we will try some more steps.
Let’s start your computer in safe mode and check the functionality. Safe mode is diagnostic method in which basic display drivers will load when you start the computer. This will help us to find if graphics
card drivers are causing issues.
Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
-
Anonymous
2014-04-28T12:41:14+00:00 Hi Johnny,
Thank you for the update.
In order to make sure if the issue is not with the corrupt user profile, please login to the different user account and check if the issue persists there. If you don't have different user account, let's create a new user account.
Refer to the suggestions from this link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8
Please reply and update us the status.
I just created a new account and it didn't fix the issue. I think it's a bug that came with Win 8.1 since others also have this.
Aren't you able to reproduce this? Try my steps in my previous post please (go to the Desktop immediately after reboot and/or open a folder on the Desktop that contains shortcuts).