Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-04-26T20:52:31+00:00

Hey all,

I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.

Things I have tried:

  1. I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
  2. I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
  3. A reformat also didn't fix the issue.

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)

i5 3570K CPU

nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)

8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-23T19:16:27+00:00

    No this is a peer to peer forum for help with issues with limited help from Microsoft.

    So if you hit f5 it will pop up immediately but no matter how long you wait before opening the folder it will never overlay the shortcut icon? What about opening one folder then if no icon shows either reopening that same folder (while the first one is still open) or opening a new folder does the new one have the icon?

    After you hit f5 and the icon shows when you open folders thereon do they always contain an icon?

    I wish I knew exactly when the shortcut icon is loaded. It sounds like during the explorer boot phase something is hanging. Or something prior to is causing it to hang. Old drivers especially the graphics driver are a big cause in the personal computing side.

    http://support.microsoft.com/Product/windows/windows-8-1 then go to the bottom right ask answer desk. Try these below; these are things they will ask and you should try them first.

    Try Safe Mode and Clean Boot

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode#1TC=windows-7

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

    Updating the graphics driver is something else that can cause it.

    Update Every other driver including chipset drivers.

    Using shell programs like windows classic shell will definitely effect this. And changing your theme in Personalize may show if it is an issue with a specific theme.

    I don't know if I mentioned this but you can scan and fix systems files by an elevated command prompt

    Window key + X select command prompt admin > click yes if UAC controls are active > type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    Here is some more info on slow loading icons. Basically anything that loads before the icons can cause it which is basically everything. That is why it is hard to say if it is a user machine issue or an OS issue.  

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10608.desktop-icons-loading-very-slow-in-windows-7.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-23T15:23:03+00:00

    Yes I am using windows 8.1 and I get the issue if I restart and open the folder immediately but if I wait a second it doesn't happen. Check that the most current updates are installed, specifically update 1, and then report the bug to Microsoft if it still exists. Sending a support request may be the only way. There is a bug report but I think that's for different software

    I have the latest updates installed. Sorry, but I have no idea how to send a support request. I thought this forum is the way I should report bugs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-20T21:31:00+00:00

    Yes I am using windows 8.1 and I get the issue if I restart and open the folder immediately but if I wait a second it doesn't happen. Check that the most current updates are installed, specifically update 1, and then report the bug to Microsoft if it still exists. Sending a support request may be the only way. There is a bug report but I think that's for different software

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-20T20:31:53+00:00

    In this case the hard drive speed is what you need to focus on. So starting up opening the task manager and waiting for all the disk usage to drop down and then opening the folder you still have no icons. It would be helpful to diagnose the issue if you noted how long you wait, disk activity at the time and weather they load or not. I would load with clean boot to lower startup programs to see if it helps

    Hitting f5 refreshes the folder. If that works it means the have loaded.

    You can have a dual xenon quardcore processor but it the drive is 5400rpm the processor doesn't matter.

    I use a samsung 840pro ssd, waited 10 mins , nothing changed

    DanzlZme are you using 8.1 ?, if yes do you get this bug as well ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-20T12:08:07+00:00

    In this case the hard drive speed is what you need to focus on. So starting up opening the task manager and waiting for all the disk usage to drop down and then opening the folder you still have no icons. It would be helpful to diagnose the issue if you noted how long you wait, disk activity at the time and weather they load or not. I would load with clean boot to lower startup programs to see if it helps

    Hitting f5 refreshes the folder. If that works it means the have loaded.

    You can have a dual xenon quardcore processor but it the drive is 5400rpm the processor doesn't matter.

    Even if I wait for like 1 hour the arrow icons don't come up. It simply doesn't have anything to do with loading times. Also, the arrow icons should appear without even hitting F5.

    It's a bug that came along with Windows 8.1. Problem is there's no other mod around here who's willing to try to reproduce the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments