Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-04-26T20:52:31+00:00

Hey all,

I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.

Things I have tried:

  1. I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
  2. I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
  3. A reformat also didn't fix the issue.

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)

i5 3570K CPU

nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)

8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T11:39:31+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    I tried to reproduce the issue, but the desktop icons are working fine in my computer. So we will try some more steps.

    Let’s start your computer in safe mode and check the functionality. Safe mode is diagnostic method in which basic display drivers will load when you start the computer. This will help us to find if graphics

    card drivers are causing issues.

    Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

    I tried Safe Mode and there the issue doesn't occur on shortcuts on the Desktop. However, opening a folder on the Desktop in Safe Mode that contains shortcuts still doesn't show the shortcut arrows on the shortcuts in that folder.

    I did some testing and came with the following conclusions:

    1. There must be more than 1 shortcut on the Desktop
    2. The bug happens only on the first shortcut counting from top to bottom. Sometimes it happens also on shortcuts that are right after the first one.
    3. The bug does not occur when enabling the option to let Windows immediately go to the Desktop after logging in. You have to boot into the modern Start Menu first and then click the Desktop tile to let the bug happen. Maybe that's why Safe Mode doesn't have that bug since it immediately brings you to the Desktop.

    My first row of pictograms is as follows, maybe you could try to copy this order and see if the bug happens. The bug should then happen on the Internet Explorer icon :

    Also, could you try and put a folder on the Desktop that contains shortcuts, then reboot and open that folder to see if the bug occurs on these shortcuts?

    I'm starting to look like someone who's really fond of testing minor bugs here :P

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T16:53:45+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Does this issue occur after updating from Win 8 to Win 8.1?

    Let's create a new shortcut and check if it shows the arrow. If the new shortcut displays fine, probably the old shortcuts are corrupt. You may delete them and create new shortcuts.

    Please keep us posted on the status of the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-09T23:49:25+00:00

    I'm just noticing this problem (hopefully not a "feature") on a new computer with Windows 10. Those arrows are key to making sure you don't delete the source directory! The problem went away after simply rebooting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-10T09:07:44+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps.

    Step 1: I would suggest you to rebuild the icon cache and check if the issue is resolved.

    Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database:

    1.  Close all folder windows that are currently open.
    2.  Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
    3.  In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
    4.  Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
    5.  From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
    6.  Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
    7.   In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

    DEL IconCache.db /a

    EXIT

    1.  In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
    2.  Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

    Step 2: I would suggest you to run System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) and check if it helps. The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

    Run System File checker to see if you have any corrupted system files.

    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

    **http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us**

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T18:33:31+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Does this issue occur after updating from Win 8 to Win 8.1?

    Let's create a new shortcut and check if it shows the arrow. If the new shortcut displays fine, probably the old shortcuts are corrupt. You may delete them and create new shortcuts.

    Please keep us posted on the status of the issue.

    Yes, this bug occurred after updating to Win 8.1

    I just created a new shortcut and realised that the arrow icons disappearing is completely random at reboots. Sometimes they appear on some shortcuts and sometimes they're not there (even on the newly created shortcuts). There doesn't seem to be a preference for specific shortcuts.

    I also noticed that the arrow icons tend to be missing more often when you immediately go to the Desktop as soon as the Start Menu appears after a reboot. Opening a folder on the Desktop that contains shortcuts also doesn't show any arrows until I hover my mouse over them or refresh.

    There are several threads I found with the same problem:

    http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41987-shortcut-arrows-randomly-disappear.html

    http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39237-does-anyone-else-s-8-1-enterprise-not-show-shortcut-icons.html

    http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43335-shortcut-overlay-not-loading-automatically.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments