Acer Aspire v3-772g BSOD's (kmode_exception_not_handled, irql_not_less_or_equal)

Anonymous
2014-03-01T12:40:06+00:00

Hello.

I have bought my Acer Aspire v3-772g about 3 weeks ago and I have problems with BSOD's since then. I have installed and updated every possible driver that I have found, but nothing helped. So 2 days ago I have decided to restore machine to factory settings. After it I have immediatelly installed all of the updates for Windows 8, uninstalled graphic drivers and updated to Windows 8.1. After update, I have installed Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office and went to sleep. When I woke up, the machine was restarted by the damn BSOD again, saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Minidump: http://1drv.ms/1jHYNqd )

Okay, so I have decided to download all the updates for hardware and install them. Then it took almost 36 hours to produce another BSOD, this time addressed KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (minidump: http://1drv.ms/1jHYLij ).

Before factory reset I had many more similar BSODs but I haven't saved any of the minidump files. It's just driving me crazy. What to do?!?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T22:39:46+00:00

My pleasure, sorry to hear that this wasn't a simple software issue and you did in fact receive a faulty system.

If and when you are comfortable and feel your issue has been solved, I'd recommend marking any posts of mine that answered your question as answered so this thread no longer shows up as requiring an answer.

Regards,

Patrick

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-11T22:03:44+00:00

    If updating to Windows 8.1 causes BSOD's, there's an incompatibility somewhere (drivers, software). If you're using McAfee when upgrading, uninstall it entirely (in fact, I wouldn't recommend using it at all) - http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

    When antiviruses are installed at the time of an upgrade, it causes huge issues.

    In any case, your original issue is solved which is the fact that you were in general blue screening. Now that we've solved that, please go ahead and mark any posts of mine that assisted you in finding the answer so this thread no longer shows up as requiring an answer. If you'd like to further troubleshoot your issue as far as why you cannot update to 8.1 goes, a new thread would be best to avoid confusion.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-11T16:37:28+00:00

    almost 100 hours on W8 without BSOD

    it never ran this much, so this could be indicator that W8.1 is the cause

    but I don't know how to install W8.1 to prevent BSODs, because I updated it twice like you wrote (and based on the instructions on Acer website - update mcafee, uninstall other drivers, install 8.1 drivers from Acer website...) and both times it was causing BSOD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-08T23:00:57+00:00

    48 hours is not long enough, keep the system on 8 for a few more days. I'd say at least 5-7 days, and then upgrade. Before upgrading to 8.1, if you have any antiviruses installed, uninstall them with their respectable removal tools. Other than that, after the upgrade is done, visit Acer's website and get any 8.1 drivers available.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-08T21:38:58+00:00

    48 hours of uptime for now *knocks on wood*

    What can I do so that I will be able to install windows 8.1 without problems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments