Acer Aspire v3-772g BSOD's (kmode_exception_not_handled, irql_not_less_or_equal)

Anonymous
2014-03-01T12:40:06+00:00

Hello.

I have bought my Acer Aspire v3-772g about 3 weeks ago and I have problems with BSOD's since then. I have installed and updated every possible driver that I have found, but nothing helped. So 2 days ago I have decided to restore machine to factory settings. After it I have immediatelly installed all of the updates for Windows 8, uninstalled graphic drivers and updated to Windows 8.1. After update, I have installed Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office and went to sleep. When I woke up, the machine was restarted by the damn BSOD again, saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Minidump: http://1drv.ms/1jHYNqd )

Okay, so I have decided to download all the updates for hardware and install them. Then it took almost 36 hours to produce another BSOD, this time addressed KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (minidump: http://1drv.ms/1jHYLij ).

Before factory reset I had many more similar BSODs but I haven't saved any of the minidump files. It's just driving me crazy. What to do?!?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T22:39:46+00:00

My pleasure, sorry to hear that this wasn't a simple software issue and you did in fact receive a faulty system.

If and when you are comfortable and feel your issue has been solved, I'd recommend marking any posts of mine that answered your question as answered so this thread no longer shows up as requiring an answer.

Regards,

Patrick

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T05:54:48+00:00

    Definitely.

    Your external may be faulty. Connect it whilst verifier is enabled.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T05:45:16+00:00

    I have enabled verifier and am now waiting...

    Interesting thing is, that I didn't have any BSOD for a couple of days now. I got them aprox. one hour after connecting WD external HDD (my book essentials) to watch a movie. Could this be the case?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T23:26:04+00:00

    Please enable Driver Verifier:

    Driver Verifier:

    What is Driver Verifier?

    Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8/8.1, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

    Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

    Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

    Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point

    Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

    Windows 8 - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4690-restore-point-create-windows-8-a.html

    How to enable Driver Verifier:

    Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

    1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"

    2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"

    3. Check the following boxes -

    • Special Pool
    • Pool Tracking
    • Force IRQL Checking
    • Deadlock Detection
    • Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    • DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    • Miscellaneous Checks

    4. Select  - "Select driver names from a list"

    5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.

    6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.

    7. Click on Finish.

    8. Restart.

    Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

    • If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD. To expand on this a bit more for the interested, specifically what Driver Verifier actually does is it looks for any driver making illegal function calls. When and/if this happens, system corruption occurs if allowed to continue. When Driver Verifier is enabled, it is monitoring all 3rd party drivers (as we have it set that way) and when it catches a driver attempting to do this, it will quickly flag that driver as being a troublemaker, and bring down the system safely before any corruption can occur.
    • After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will detect it in violation almost straight away, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

    If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

    • Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
    • Once in Safe Mode - Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.
    • To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.

    ・    Restart and boot into normal Windows.

    If your OS became corrupt or you cannot boot into Windows after disabling verifier via Safe Mode:

    • Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
    • Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.
    • Choose the restore point you created earlier.

    -- Note that Safe Mode for Windows 8 is a bit different, and you may need to try different methods: 5 Ways to Boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

    How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

    I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier. I will usually say whether or not I'd like for you to keep it enabled any longer.

    My system BSOD'd with Driver Verifier enabled, where can I find the crash dumps?

    They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

    Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

    Regards,

    Patrick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T22:06:14+00:00

    did step #1 and #2

    been fine for a couple of days now, but got 2 BSODs in short time today

    http://1drv.ms/1jPsiGO

    http://1drv.ms/1jPsmGr

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments