There will be no ISO downloads of Windows 8.1 for the public.

Anonymous
2013-10-17T19:50:01+00:00

Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.

"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.

The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.

UPDATE:

Since I started this discussion, Microsoft has introduced a Media Creation Tool that makes it easy to download a .ISO file and create bootable media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

The new downloader allows for selection of:

⦁ Language

⦁ Windows 8.1 Version

⦁ Architecture

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T18:50:01+00:00

    So, is this how the microsoft support works??? I ask a question and get a response 4 months later. Wow, so if you cant give the windows cd to us when we purchase your computers, Tell us why? Why? I want to know why you wont give me the softare i purchased with my machine. Try not to take half a year to answer this one Micrsoft, More like microdicks.

    As mentioned I do not work for Microsoft and my solution is unofficial. It took me a lot of time to gather the information together from various sources to make a somewhat viable solution (which is still incomplete as there is no OEM download link).

    I have also not bought a new system with an OEM license as I seen all these problems occur with media and did not want to buy Windows twice to use the computer properly. Thus my testing has been more limited in this respect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T19:09:16+00:00

    Microsoft have now revised their deployment of Windows 8.1. The media creation tool now allows for selection of language, version and architecture and gives an up to date Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .iso.

    It does not require a product key to download.

    During installation it will input Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 OEM product keys automatically. For retail keys it'll prompt  you to input them and likewise it'll accept Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 product keys:

    http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-03T19:52:45+00:00

    I know, its unfortunate, but hopefully Microsoft will change on this one and very soon too, its definitely wasting bandwidth.

    Haven't you heard? In Microsoft's imaginary world, bandwidth is free.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-03T20:02:11+00:00

    I had installed 8.0 with a local account. The upgrade did not work after downloading. In the end I created a "dummy account" with admin privileges, added a Microsoft Live account, downloaded again and installed (with difficulty - more later). Afterwards deleted the dummy account and am using the dummy account. Deleted the Skydrive app. Am not using Microsoft's included email either.

    Clever. It annoys me that getting 8.1 through any means requires a Microsoft Live account. I see no legal reason they should be able to require this. Soon every Windows user will have a record in a MS data warehouse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-28T00:24:20+00:00

    How hard is it to create a web page where you can verify your key and then be able to download the .iso. I know, not very hard. This is another reason why I gave up on Windows, Microsoft just makes things so hard to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments