There will be no ISO downloads of Windows 8.1 for the public.

Anonymous
2013-10-17T19:50:01+00:00

Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.

"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.

The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.

UPDATE:

Since I started this discussion, Microsoft has introduced a Media Creation Tool that makes it easy to download a .ISO file and create bootable media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

The new downloader allows for selection of:

⦁ Language

⦁ Windows 8.1 Version

⦁ Architecture

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T00:11:01+00:00

    My wife and I have a desktop machine each, a laptop between us, and recently a tablet, all happily running Windows 8. The tablet is 32 bit and the rest 64 bit versions. I would love to move to 8.1 but, with ~3GB download from the Windows Store each and with an 8GB download per month plan most of which we use each month, we simply won't be doing the upgrades.

    Microsoft simply has to realise that there are a lot of loyal and enthusiastic Windows 8 users who don't have an unlimited broadband connection.

    Release an ISO or alienate a lot of users, not just small business but home users as well. What about people with a couple of teenagers? You could easily have 6 machines per broadband connection.

    Whatever mind-dead executive that thought out this policy needs to find another career.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T12:58:36+00:00

    Here is a workaround:

    • As soon as it starts downloading, close the installer assistant from the (X) in the top-right corner.
    • Go back to the Microsoft Windows upgrade page, click Install Windows 8.1, and download the newer installer assistant.
    • Run the newer install assistant.

    • When the download is complete, you can choose to install the OS right-then, or you can choose the option: Install by creating media. This option will allow you to create a USB/DVD media.

    • Select USB drive if you want to install the installation files to a USB stick or select the ISO option if you want to obtain the ISO.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T14:17:56+00:00

    Does this mean my key for 8 Pro will work for 8.1 ISO/USB without a hassle?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T14:50:07+00:00

    1). As a WIndows 8 user am I entitled to get free upgrade to Windows 8.1?

    2). Isn't signing in to Windows 8 with online account optional?

    3). Do I have to sign up to Windows Store to use Windows 8 on my machine or is it optional?

    If the answer is "yes it is optional (hxxp://www.thefreedictionary.com/optional)" then Microsoft must provide me with a way to get my Windows 8 upgraded without using Windows Store for that otherwise I would like to return all the disk instalation media of Windows 8 I have and get my money back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T17:17:57+00:00

    I have an OEM installation, and do not know my key.  HP refused to supply it when I asked them for it.  I cannot go with this option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments