There will be no ISO downloads of Windows 8.1 for the public.

Anonymous
2013-10-17T19:50:01+00:00

Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.

"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.

The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.

UPDATE:

Since I started this discussion, Microsoft has introduced a Media Creation Tool that makes it easy to download a .ISO file and create bootable media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

The new downloader allows for selection of:

⦁ Language

⦁ Windows 8.1 Version

⦁ Architecture

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T18:42:42+00:00

    Here is the proper work around:

    http://philipyip.wordpress.com/download-windows-8-1-iso/ 

    Andre missed out the fact that you need to use a generic key to install but can use your actual Windows 8.0 product key to activate Windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T17:33:58+00:00

    It will not work. As I have downloaded the windows 8.1 as per Andre comments and it refuses my Retail key of Windows 8 Pro. So now I will have to reinstall Windows 8 and wait for the 8.1 upgrade again. Hopefully it's still available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T17:17:57+00:00

    I have an OEM installation, and do not know my key.  HP refused to supply it when I asked them for it.  I cannot go with this option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T14:50:07+00:00

    1). As a WIndows 8 user am I entitled to get free upgrade to Windows 8.1?

    2). Isn't signing in to Windows 8 with online account optional?

    3). Do I have to sign up to Windows Store to use Windows 8 on my machine or is it optional?

    If the answer is "yes it is optional (hxxp://www.thefreedictionary.com/optional)" then Microsoft must provide me with a way to get my Windows 8 upgraded without using Windows Store for that otherwise I would like to return all the disk instalation media of Windows 8 I have and get my money back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T14:17:56+00:00

    Does this mean my key for 8 Pro will work for 8.1 ISO/USB without a hassle?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments