Microsoft has since relented:
Download an updated copy of Windows 8.1 with Update 1 and use the instructions in the following article to reinstall it:
The new downloader allows for selection of:
⦁ Language
⦁ Windows 8.1 Version
⦁ Architecture
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.
"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.
The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.
UPDATE:
Since I started this discussion, Microsoft has introduced a Media Creation Tool that makes it easy to download a .ISO file and create bootable media:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
The new downloader allows for selection of:
⦁ Language
⦁ Windows 8.1 Version
⦁ Architecture
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Microsoft has since relented:
Download an updated copy of Windows 8.1 with Update 1 and use the instructions in the following article to reinstall it:
The new downloader allows for selection of:
⦁ Language
⦁ Windows 8.1 Version
⦁ Architecture
On another note, well done Microsoft, I just got my hands on an .iso via a third-party website. I hope it does not contain viruses. - Moral of the story, I can get hold of an .iso if I want, the question is, does Microsoft want people to download from them so they know it's safe, do they care, it seems not.
How hard is it to create a web page where you can verify your key and then be able to download the .iso. I know, not very hard. This is another reason why I gave up on Windows, Microsoft just makes things so hard to work.
I had installed 8.0 with a local account. The upgrade did not work after downloading. In the end I created a "dummy account" with admin privileges, added a Microsoft Live account, downloaded again and installed (with difficulty - more later). Afterwards deleted the dummy account and am using the dummy account. Deleted the Skydrive app. Am not using Microsoft's included email either.
Clever. It annoys me that getting 8.1 through any means requires a Microsoft Live account. I see no legal reason they should be able to require this. Soon every Windows user will have a record in a MS data warehouse.
I know, its unfortunate, but hopefully Microsoft will change on this one and very soon too, its definitely wasting bandwidth.
Haven't you heard? In Microsoft's imaginary world, bandwidth is free.