The only option I can suggest for those with download limits is to check to see if there is an off peak download time where you are not limit, some providers offer this from around 10pm to 7pm. I always do my heavy downloading just before I go to bed to avoid bandwidth throttling, it is also generally quicker during this time.
There will be no ISO downloads of Windows 8.1 for the public.
Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.
"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.
The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.
UPDATE:
Since I started this discussion, Microsoft has introduced a Media Creation Tool that makes it easy to download a .ISO file and create bootable media:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
The new downloader allows for selection of:
⦁ Language
⦁ Windows 8.1 Version
⦁ Architecture
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2013-11-21T12:01:13+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-09T05:39:16+00:00 I think but I'm not sure that Belarc Advisor will tell you your key. Its a free download. There a probably other programs out there that will do the same thing.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-27T07:57:03+00:00 Hallo.
There is also another way - if ur familiar with Sysprep :)
all you need to do is setup one reference machine, upgrade it to 8.1, install all additional software and than sysprep it. Than you can create custom wim file, put it to MDT , which has also been released in final version, and start Deployment.
d.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:24:50+00:00 Actually, it keeps the Windows Store apps. I upgraded two computers, and the Windows Store apps were kept on both, along with all their settings and files.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-26T06:22:39+00:00 Windows 8.1 store upgrade says that it will wipu out only applications installed from windows store, whereas all other desktop applications and personal files won't be affected.
So is it like installing through workaround will do a clean install and wipe out everything unlike upgrade from windows store which wipes only the window store applications.