I'm also looking for a fix!
Windows Server 2008 SP2.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
SBS2011
WSUS 3.2.7600.226
WSUS sync has started to fail over the last few weeks, initially intermittentl, now I cannot get it to complete at all.
Update source is Microsoft
Console error: Unable to resolve the specified upstream server name.
“WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)”
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)
This seems to be the key bit of the server log
2021-02-06 07:51:26.046 UTC Info w3wp.29 ClientImplementation..ctor Initializing ClientWebService ProcessID = 18412, Process Start Time = 2/6/2021 6:17:59 AM, Product Version = 3.2.7600.325
2021-02-06 07:51:26.065 UTC Info w3wp.29 AuthorizationManager.GetUpstreamServerUriHeader Found config says USS is MU site
2021-02-06 07:51:26.362 UTC Info WsusService.18 SusService.ValidateServerCertificate CheckValidationResult Succeeds: CertOK
2021-02-06 07:51:26.366 UTC Info WsusService.18 ServerCertificateValidator.IsHostAllowedException Requested host: sws1.update.microsoft.com
2021-02-06 07:51:26.367 UTC Info WsusService.18 ServerCertificateValidator.VerifyServerCertificate SSL validation succeeded.
2021-02-06 07:51:26.546 UTC Warning WsusService.18 WebServiceCommunicationHelper.ProcessWebServiceProxyException ProcessWebServiceProxyException found Exception was WebException. Action: Retry. Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
So it is connecting to sws1.update.microsoft.com, and SSL validation succeeds. It fails after that with some proxy error.
(I realise that this server should be replaced, and work is in hand to migrate to Azure.)
Any help appreciated. Have been unable to fault the installation.
Thanks
I'm also looking for a fix!
Windows Server 2008 SP2.
Someone must have some realistic feedback from MS on what is going on here. Please post here if someone has some legitimate feedback or a solution to this outside of scrapping SBS and 2008 servers.
Hi RitaHu-MSFT.
I understand that 'Out-of-Support' is an important milestone, and I respect it. Microsoft can't be expected to support old things.
In common usage, a different milestone is 'End-of-Life' - that one has another meaning altogether.
Are you saying that because we have reached WSUS/win2008R2/SBS2011 'End-of-Support' that it's OK for WSUS to stop working?
It looks like a change at sws1.update.microsoft.com has killed the product. It is not End-of-Support, it is End-of-Life.
Worse still, that EoL breaks security patching for everything behind the WSUS server.
Hello JimSym,
According to the Document Article from the Microsoft, the SBS2011 is already out of support. I'm sorry that I don't have the related environment to test. It is difficult for me to research further.
Alternatively, other than the free community support channel, the paid channel is also available. It is suggested to submit a service request to MS Professional tech support service.
Please try to contact MS Professional tech support service on the below link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers
Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Rita
If the response is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.
I am looking for any way out of this that doesn't require me to travel 900km to fix the server.
It looks like 'end-of-support' means that updates to WSUS have been pulled, and sws1.update.microsoft.com now denies access, effectively turning off my ability to apply security (or any) patches to any of the Windows10 etc clients downstream.
Also, the relevant KB download has been pulled, so there is no easy way out.
Is Microsoft cutting us off from security patches because I have not upgraded (and now cannot fix) a utility WSUS server?
This is end-of-LIFE, not end-of-support.