The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load

Anonymous
2013-10-26T20:07:29+00:00

We'll start with this Event FIRST:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date:          10/26/13 1:03:18 PM

Event ID:      219

Task Category: (212)

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />

    <EventID>219</EventID>

    <Version>0</Version>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>212</Task>

    <Opcode>0</Opcode>

    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:03:18.207832500Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42592</EventRecordID>

    <Correlation />

    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="208" />

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data Name="DriverNameLength">124</Data>

    <Data Name="DriverName">SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}</Data>

    <Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>

    <Data Name="Version">0</Data>

  </EventData>

</Event>

I'm guessing this is related to Event ID 11 (below) which shows up for 4 items DR1 through DR 4. .

Log Name:      System

Source:        disk

Date:          10/26/13 1:22:46 PM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="disk" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:22:46.417018600Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42601</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Harddisk2\DR2</Data>

    <Binary>0F00800001000000000000000B0004C00301000000000000000000001600000000000000000000000B29010000000000FFFFFFFF06000000580000050000000000000A122809080000000000140000000000000000000000803A110200E0FFFF0000000000000000E053B70100E0FFFF0000000000000000000000000000000035000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

These show up on Device Manager as:

Disk Drives: as Generic USB SD Reader, CF Reader, xD/SM Reader and MS REader

and under

Portable Devices as E:\ through H:\

Device Status shows as Device Working Properly

Before you ask: earlier today I ran

sfc /scannow

Dism/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth

full scan Windows Defender

full scan Malwarebytes

NO new hardware or software since Windows 8.1 upgrade

all Windows Updates

Any help would be appreciated as I slowly go through the MULTIPLE Event Logs caused by my recent UPGRADE to Windows 8.1


Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-05T12:05:09+00:00

    Seeing as this is a problem for quite a few people (including me), one would think that Microsoft would not just vanish from the discussion. 

    -Keith

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-26T04:10:12+00:00

    Let me start by saying that I am commenting on this thread using pure speculation, with regard to this event error.  I'm trying to find proof to back my theory written below, but it may take some time. My work day is hectic, and my test lab is usually being pounded with a work related problem.  So please just take this "best guess" of mine with a grain of salt.  But I do think the key to this, and some other strange Win8 behavior, lay within the new Fastboot (Hybrid-Shutdown) feature.

    I've been seeing this same error (different hardware ID's of course) since day one of deploying Win8/8.1 on my network. On about 6 or 8 different machines (including my own, custom built PC at home) of various Mfg's and hardware configs. The only "constants" I've noticed between the affected PC's (and possibly all of us seeing this same Event Error) are these following things:

    1. Windows 8/8.1
    2. USB connected storage
    3. The type of "Start Up" (full or Fastboot) which invokes this Error Event.

    From what I can gather this problem has something to do with the Fastboot feature in Windows 8.1.  When a Windows 8.1 PC is shutdown (normal situation, no pending or completed updates/hardware installs, or during Restarts) Fastboot is used, and a pagefile is written out of RAM containing driver/hardware/operational states at that time.  This is how Win8.1 starts so quickly most of the time.  Especially on SSD based PC's/Tablets.  When you power on your PC, after a previous "clean Shutdown", that Fastboot pagefile data is injected back into RAM, bring the PC's base "hardware state" in RAM as the Win kernel is loaded also.  This process directly affects Windows boot up time, since less time is spent loading the same, specific driver/hardware data from different points on the physical hard disk every time the PC boots.

    I believe, but again I have no viable proof (yet), that this event is directly related to the Fastboot/pagefile data and/or process. (possibly leading to other, odd Win8 behavior)  My theory includes:

    a.) the pagefile data possibly getting corrupted for hardware/drivers/WDF service info

    b.) the pagefile data is not being loaded into RAM fast enough for the Windows Kernel, which of course is also being loaded into RAM on Startup. Result, possibly... "Driver Failed to Load for Device". 

    c.) not using the Fastboot process causes Event Error, which means Windows is not cleanly loading the driver/service on "fresh" startup's.

    Take notice of what errors you see when you "Restart" as apposed to "Shutdown", and notice if they are vastly different.  I've gone ahead and disabled Fastboot via Group Policy, while writing this reply.  I want to see which errors are consistent with which Startup type.

    Note changes in Error Event Logs:

    1.) No event error is logged when a "Fastboot" Startup is used, but event is logged when a full Startup is used?

    2.) Event error is logged on full Startup's, but is logged when Fastboot Startup's are used?

    3.) No change in Error Event consistency?

    One other thing... I've never had this error come up on my Microsoft Surface Pro.  But I've seen it on almost all of my other PC's, custom and big mfg's.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T11:23:29+00:00

    mine is very similar 

    The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM{d878e377-621c-11e2-be65-806e6f6e6963}#0000003A98100000

    it occurs on boot up when I do not have my Kingston data traveller 16 GB USB stick plugged in (which is always the case).  The error goes away when the stick is plugged in before a bootup.

    my question is why should the system expect the stick to be plugged in?

    and posting this here just in case you guys  have same issue...where it is simply the lack of usb stick plugged in during boot.

    edit: I have a few types of usb sticks and same kingston of different sizes.. only the one I mentioned causes this error in the log.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T11:04:03+00:00

    The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM{f892cc04-c3e4-11e2-be76-806e6f6e6963}#0000000000200000.

    I have this too since W8.1 upgrade. Windows does not boot, and boots only on restart.

    I noticed that the final part of the device number is similar.   be76-806e6f6e6963. I had a go at it but no luck. Hope some else can fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-27T10:40:06+00:00

    sometimes when the computer stalls at boot I reset the computer and once windows boots again device manager shows my external , and three internal drives as jacked up not working also my location services  "driver" also ....  :(

    goanna try raid again

    wish me luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments