The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load

Anonymous
2013-10-26T20:07:29+00:00

We'll start with this Event FIRST:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date:          10/26/13 1:03:18 PM

Event ID:      219

Task Category: (212)

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />

    <EventID>219</EventID>

    <Version>0</Version>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>212</Task>

    <Opcode>0</Opcode>

    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:03:18.207832500Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42592</EventRecordID>

    <Correlation />

    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="208" />

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data Name="DriverNameLength">124</Data>

    <Data Name="DriverName">SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}</Data>

    <Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>

    <Data Name="Version">0</Data>

  </EventData>

</Event>

I'm guessing this is related to Event ID 11 (below) which shows up for 4 items DR1 through DR 4. .

Log Name:      System

Source:        disk

Date:          10/26/13 1:22:46 PM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="disk" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:22:46.417018600Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42601</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Harddisk2\DR2</Data>

    <Binary>0F00800001000000000000000B0004C00301000000000000000000001600000000000000000000000B29010000000000FFFFFFFF06000000580000050000000000000A122809080000000000140000000000000000000000803A110200E0FFFF0000000000000000E053B70100E0FFFF0000000000000000000000000000000035000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

These show up on Device Manager as:

Disk Drives: as Generic USB SD Reader, CF Reader, xD/SM Reader and MS REader

and under

Portable Devices as E:\ through H:\

Device Status shows as Device Working Properly

Before you ask: earlier today I ran

sfc /scannow

Dism/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth

full scan Windows Defender

full scan Malwarebytes

NO new hardware or software since Windows 8.1 upgrade

all Windows Updates

Any help would be appreciated as I slowly go through the MULTIPLE Event Logs caused by my recent UPGRADE to Windows 8.1


Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-21T19:25:39+00:00

    I agree 100%. I have been trying the Windows 10 release just to see if it is any better and so far it has the same issue. I doubt I will upgrade. Think I may go to Ubuntu or Mint. I just need to find one more program for my needs in Linux and I'm gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-02T19:15:35+00:00

    Windows 10 have the same error

    Device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_Flash_Disk&Rev_1.00#12AB000000766&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b} requires further installation.

    No body can fix this from many years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-28T03:37:37+00:00

    I have this exact issue and my event viewer looks just like this. I did not have a problem until Windows upgraded to 8.1. This has happened on two desktop computers and apparently is quite a common issue with 8.1. On one computer I would get a BSOD to go with this error. On the latest, my screen just goes black and I can't do anything but shutdown power and reboot. I have thoroughly checked all drivers and updated as needed. None of this has helped. It is getting quite annoying. By the way, I AM A+ certified and have installed EVERY Microsoft operating system they have ever made. So I am pretty sure I know what I am doing. I have only had this issue with Windows 8.1 on both of these desktops. Windows 7 works fine.

    I guess since Microsoft is coming out with windows 10, they don't give a damn about windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-11T21:06:25+00:00

    Just to add in here, I am seeing this on all my windows 8 machines with card readers. dell models are 790, 7010 . I get 4 of these kernel errors at every reboot. I also have 4 slots in the card reader, and 4 mapped drives to card reader ports.

    This does not appear to cause any problems which is why MS is most likely not responding. They do have some "errors" which do not cause problems.

    Other people with a similar error that do not have to do with USB card readers are i believe a different problem.

    This is the problem with microsoft leaving these "errors" unresolved, is that if your computer starts misbehaving, and you go looking for errors, you will glob onto these ones and go down that rabbit hole, when really I think these errors are normal for windows 8 machines with card readers.

    As for my part, i did try updating the intel INF drivers, however this card reader driver is provided by microsoft so they should fix, and i dont know who makes the card reader device to go looking at their website. The date on the installed driver is 21/06/2006.

    TLDR: this error "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-& "

    is probably innocent of whatever is causing your other problems.

    my 2 cents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-14T16:50:12+00:00

    The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM{c880a8a2-bf5e-11e4-8250-806e6f6e6963}#0000000000100000

    fatal hardware error has occurred.

    Component: PCI Express Root Port

    Error Source: BOOT

    Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x0

    Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x2F04

    Class Code: 0x604

    The UMDF reflector was unable to complete startup because the WUDFPf service was not found. This service may be started later during boot, at which point Windows will attempt to start the device again.

    I am getting all this information after reboot of my system in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview.

    Motherboard: Z10PE-D8 WS

    CPU Type 2x OctalCore Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3, 3400 MHz (34 x 100)

    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black  (6 GB)

    Storage Controller Intel(R) Solid-State Drive P3700/P3600/P3500/750 Series

    Storage Controller LSI Adapter, SAS3 3008 Fury -StorPort

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments