wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T12:41:36+00:00

    Where do you find the "help us improve our software" boxes to untick?

    :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T14:33:28+00:00

    Maybe a bit late to responde, but to be complete:

    With the coming of Windows 7 I decided I might as well help improve such a great Microsoft OS. This -together with good bandwidth and fast processors- is why I turned ON all these features in the Microsoft programs that apply to it.

    Unfortunately, with the coming of wicainventory.exe Microsoft is abusing my willingness by leaving me choice less.

    (Take note Microsoft, this program is a 99% Functionality less program to your costumers but it uses up so much hard disk time, that it actually makes the computer in total less functional and I presume anyone who can work perfectly on your OS with a dual core PC or laptop, suddenly sees a huge performance drop and fins it's cooling system in an over exaggerated state making way too much noise. Many of them will start thinking about a new computer because this little program actually makes one feel like the Laptop or PC is broken).

    As a result I can't help improving:

    • Windows security essentials (screenshot 1)
    • Microsoft Office (screenshot 2)
    • Microsoft OS (screenshot 3)

    I'm actually quite convinced I wasn't the only one to decide to help out. As I am just as convinced I am not the only one that doesn't want to anymore.

    1. MSE. open MSE, go to the setting tab and make sure to set it to the first option not to be part of MAPS

    1. Office. Open any Microsoft Office program, open up the 'Options', open the bottom tab 'Trust Centre', push the settings button, go to the bottom tab 'Privacy Options' and make sure to uncheck the third checkbox about Quality Improvement

    1. Microsoft OS (7/8). Go to the 'Problem and Solution Centre' (the little flag in your taskbar), Open up it's settings (first option in the left column), Open up the blue line mentioning the 'costumer experience improvement program' (very funny name when being used in this way) and set it to: no, I do not want to join.

    Sorry for those who don't understand Dutch but I don't have an English example here. It's just visual support, hope it helps.

    1. Now the last step seems to be to go to your task planner (Manage This PC/ My Cmputer) and turn off all Costumer Experience Improvement Program tasks in task planner --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Costumer Experience Improvement Program because they will stay active once set.

    Sorry for Microsoft. I would have really liked it if I wanted to keep on helping improve your products.

    Disclaimer: I think Microsoft update can turn this function on and off without our notice. Not sure though. The reason why is because I had solved my wicainventory.exe problem, yet today I discovered that end of January wicainventory.exe was reinstalled despite my hidden update with the exact same KB number KB2952664. 

    Tip: trying to prevent the program from ever running again, I left the exe files on my PC and changed the ownership to Administrators, then removed all other users/ groups and disallowed the Admin group to run the program. Not sure if it is going to work considering Microsoft's access to alter my choices but still in good faith they will leave my system alone...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-28T09:22:05+00:00

    The problem returns as described in Windows 8.1 too, but now it is kb2976978. I jusz removed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-29T18:44:02+00:00

    I find it funny how people find Microsoft bashing posts helpfull but my extended explaination is being ignored. Even better: those who don't like Microsoft (the crowd) leave every option to help Microsoft improved open. Cause one thing I can telle you: I don't have the problem. Wicainventory is not reinstalled, the mentioned update is no longer applicable to my system. ;-) Good luck!

    (And thanks for all the fish.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments