wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T15:48:41+00:00

    I turned off the customer experience option as well.

    I also looked at Malwarebytes to see if I could add Wicainventory.exe to a list of known malware, but no such luck. I would tend to classify as malware anything that I did not ask to be installed, and causes performance problems with my computer, and that cannot be removed through the Control Panel. Same for GWX.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-30T10:54:25+00:00

    I can't get rid of this thing. I have deleted win updates, turned off all windows customer experience programs.

    It still start scanning my disks at random times, not only at startup.

    When I do a thorough search I find wicainventory.exe in 16 different location, but I can't delete any of them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-30T15:39:43+00:00

    As it turns out, there are quite a few recent updates to Windows 7 which provide telemetry information to Microsoft. It could be that one of the others is responsible for what you're seeing.

    If you haven't already done so, you must configure Windows Update for "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". Instructions for how to do this are available at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-windows-update-installation-notification

    If you don't do that, then every time you uninstall an update, Windows Update will promptly reinstall it.

    Here is a partial list of Win7 telemetry updates:

    KB2952664 - Adds Appraiser.dll, Creates new tasks for DoScheduledTelemetryRun. In this case, also check for the "scheduled tasks" and consider deleting them.

    KB3021917 - "Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft"

    KB3022345/3068708 - "This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service"

    KB3075249 - "This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature"

    KB3080149 - "This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices"

    KB3035583 - "This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness"

    One way to uninstall updates, which I find to be easier than searching through the list provided by the Windows Update GUI,

    is to open a Command Prompt as Administrator, and type the following command:

    WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:#######

    replace ####### by the actual number of the update you want to remove.

    Several of the updates listed above depend on one another. If you delete them in numeric order, the dependent updates will be silently deleted along with them, so subsequent uninstalls might complain that the specified update is not installed. That's OK.

    After all of the unwanted updates have been uninstalled, reboot the computer.

    After rebooting, run Windows Update. It will report that several updates are pending, including some (but not all) of those listed above and some additional ones (e.g. 2882822 -- Update adds ITraceRelogger interface support to Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1, Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1). Presumably the latter are updates which were dependent on the updates which were explicitly deleted.

    Right click on each of those updates and select "hide update" so that Windows Update will not offer to install them again.

    Unfortunately, it has been reported that Microsoft sometimes overrides "hide" when new variants of the same update are released, so you'll need to carefully review future updates before allowing them to be installed.

    I hope this helps a little.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-07T17:50:23+00:00

    Thanks everyone here to point out the problem and the solution. During the last weeks my harddisk was always busy and my computer very unresponsive.

    Only today I noticed the high CPU usage in wicainventory.exe and I followed the advice to uninstall the Update KB2952664.

    Now the harddisk LED actually stays mostly off and I can use the computer again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments