wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-25T23:02:34+00:00

    It seems (I had this .exe running on three machines with the Kb update), that only when we allow Microsoft to gather information to improve their software, just uninstalling the update is not enough.

    Somehow on two machines wicainventory would stop running after the uninstall of the update. But on my third, my dual core laptop, it would still run on every boot. Until I unticked the boxes to help improve the software. After I stopped the 'help us improve our software' option and uninstalling the kb2952664 my lappy runs normal again. Sorry for not helping you guys out anymore but that little program is just too much for my second hand lappy.

    Of course you should not forget to check for the update to reoccur so you can hide it and stop it from ever installing itself again.

    No need to overrule the Trusted Installer in this way. No need to remove every instance. Just no more helping out Microsoft to improve their software. I'm sure they didn't really need my help anyway.

    ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-25T21:55:47+00:00

    I also have this issue, and I have uninstalled KB2952664.

    I tried this afternoon to delete wicainventory.exe (it occurs in 7 places on my hard drive) and I was denied access.  I even went into Safe Mode and tried unsuccessfully to delete it from there.

    Any suggestions?  I'd really like to resolve this issue on my machine...  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-17T20:58:30+00:00

    For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

    Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

    Once the update has been uninstalled, open windows update and scan for new updates, find it in the list of important updates again, right click it and hide update.

    If it still bothers you or it turns up again, perform the following (bit drastic, but if you have to!):-

    open gpedit.msc from the run prompt

    Expand to computer settings>Windows Settings>Software Restriction Policies>Additional Rules

    Right click on Additional rules and add a new hash rule

    Click Browse and select the file

    Set security level to disallowed.

    Click apply.

    The computer will not allow this file to run ever again... be careful with this as you can break stuff with it... your home is at risk if you do not pay for it and you're not going home empty handed because we're going to cut your hands off...yada yada!

    This can also be done as a path rule instead of a hash rule just in case the file ever changes version if you are uber-paranoid but that's a little more dangerous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-15T00:02:17+00:00

    AlSimon, thank you for adding more details! I uninstalled the update and changed settings to ask before installing but the little **** installed it's self again. I will now follow your steps. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments