wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-17T11:25:59+00:00

    If you have a bootable USB drive, boot to that, go do DOS mode and then to your C:\ drive. You should be able to navigate to the file(s) location(s) and delete them with the DOS DEL command.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-17T11:04:33+00:00

    "My next SSD will be payed by Microsoft if Microsoft..."  Seriously, ShonkaiDJ? Let us know how that works out for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-27T20:21:46+00:00

    Uwezi:  +1.    I just turned automatic updates OFF and use the update list as a shopping cart for updates I want/need.   Windows 10 upgrade got me thinking about turning it off, but this one all but killed my poor old laptop.  Won't be trusting updates to do what is best for my computer anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T15:56:23+00:00

    Did I give permission for Microshaft to hog my computer for hours on end, right when I need it? No!

    Did microshaft fail to inform me that this would happen and fail to give me the option of delaying to a convenient time?  Yes!

    Did Microshaft allow the process to be altered to a nice low priority setting while I get on with some work? No!

    I just came here to rant while I wait for my computer to become usable.  Microshaft you suck big hairy ones.  You may be nice and shiny sometimes but this is definitely not one of those times.

    Still waiting.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments