wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T02:14:01+00:00

    Thanks for this! Just turning off the customer experience options seems to have taken stopped the wicainventory.exe from starting - I'll be keeping an eye on it but good work, much appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-27T13:27:42+00:00

    I deleted GWX from my computer only to find it there again. This underscores my perception that Microsoft is now running on name recognition and does not take any pride in the quality of its products; it only wants the money from upgrades without delivering value in return.

    Windows 7 made costly software I owned unusable. Windows 8, which I had the misfortune to get with my new tablet, is even worse. I have to fight with it just to access my desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-27T12:52:55+00:00

    Windows upgrades are WORSE THAN USELESS.

    I had to get Windows 7 when I bought a new computer in 2010, only to discover that expensive software, e.g. Corel PhotoPaint, would not work on it. The Office "upgrade" also was worse than useless--I had hoped the newer version of Excel could import Quattro Pro files, only to discover it had even less functionality. The offline Office Help function does not work. Basically, I paid Microsoft hundreds of dollars for low-quality trash that was less useful than what I had on my XP system. The last thing I want is Windows 8 or higher in case that also makes Quattro Pro, and my financial data files, unusable.

    Windows 8 (which came with my new tablet) is even worse. I just wrote it a "worst possible" review on several sites like Amazon.

    Now, how do I get wicainventory.exe off my computer? I can't even delete it without "permission" unless I go to considerable effort to change the security setting on every single instance, and there are several.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-26T11:39:01+00:00

    Sammy,

    Is wicainventory actually causing you problems? It shouldn't by now. (fwiw, I deleted it and configured the update as "Hidden" long ago.)

    My understanding is that it was installed as part of the preparation for the Windows 10 Upgrade Nag (GWX) update KB3035583. GWX puts a small "Windows" icon in the system tray, the area of the taskbar that's usually at its right end. KB2952664 should have been replaced by something else by now.

    Of course, lots of people don't like GWX. There are many Web pages describing how to disable it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments