Mithandir
With a fixed size page file, disk space is allocated to the pagefile equal to the size of the page file. The allocated space cannot be written to by other software and the page file is always located at the position on the drive where it is created.
If the page file is contiguous at the time it is created it will always remain contiguous. For this reason the page file ceases to contribute to file fragmentation.
You ideally should not separate the pagefile from the system partition, although you might split the pagefile between two partitions but with the reduction in the cost of sold state drives buying tiny drives does not represent value for money.
It is wasteful use of a free internal drive bay.
I really like this response as most people don't tell you this. For this reason, I've been wanting to create a set size as opposed to a variable size (min. to max.) Also, I do however create my page file on a second drive since my operating system lives
on a Solid State Drive and constant writes to a pagefile just reduce life expectancy. Of course, this assumes the pagefile continually gets written to. I've experimented with size (setting it to 100Mb min.) and never seen it grow above that..... leading me
to believe the Pagefile isn't even being used at all in my system (Win7 x64 with 4GB Ram, 232.89 GB useable SSD and 469.9 GB useable HD.) So, this brings me back to the original question, (assuming I want 1 size PF: Min.=Max.) set on my secondary drive (469.9GB
E: drive) what size should the PageFile be? 3x RAM (which = 12,288 Mb not 9,000 ish like one person said...) I know this is an old thread but, people (like me) still come across it with the same question. Your response would be greatly appreciated.