+1 Auslogics defrag . No special reason other than it's not Monopoly$oft. Oh! and the graph.
Gotta have a graph. It's handy to have a visual representation vs being left in the dark regarding
progress of a defrag, as is evidenced by all the threads asking -
'how many passes does the defrag tool do (or how long does it run) before it is finished ?'
The option for 'standard' or 'optimised' defrag is good too.
Speaking of defraging... I clone/image/migrate my Windows from SSD to a HDD for backup ,
but hadn't checked the results with the Auslogics defrag tool until after yesterday's image.
- "Crikey, is there any green there ? Oh! There's a bit just there...." -
I know it's part of the nature of SSD's and the TRIM/Trash Collection function, but it was still a
surprise to see that wall of red !
- I've read here and there that the Page File is best kept on a non OS HDD, when one is available,
and particularly when the OS is on an SSD ( maybe a bit of doing too many writes paranoia ? ).
On the other hand, PF fragmentation shouldn't be an issue when it is on an SSD.
I believe I also mentioned to Erwin in his previous thread that many gamers still use the
min/max set to the same capacity Page File method.
With 8GB RAM I've been using only a 2GB PF for three years (?) with no ill effects.
This is when running AAA games, but no huge photoshop or vid editing projects.
I started using the same capacity for min/max a long while back when I noticed the fragmentation
of the PF in the old XP defragmenting tools bar graph.
That, and it's what all the magazine 'optimisation' articles recommended, but then a lot of those
tweaks were splitting performance hairs anyway :)
I reckon a fragmented PF has to have some impact when using an HDD on a system that makes
regular use of the PF though.
.