Lee
Mark was writing about Windows Vista and Server 2008. This Article, probably written in 2009, supports your claim and does relate to Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7
With the substantial increases in installed RAM users have been installing since 2009 I would doubt that many would consider a multiplier of 3 is necessary.
Quite obviously, neither does Mark ! : )
...and neither do I as I was just quoting the formula that code writer used for "system managed size" before 64bit OS became the new standard. It will suit the OP fine on his 32bit OS. I set 6GB max for my x64 OS but it just sits on the 3372mb min. size
and never moves. No expanding and contracting and I do use Photoshop, but only lightly.
3x max ram is a totally ridiculous formula nowadays of course (except for 32bit) but yes, there are plenty of people out their with 32GB of ram on their "casual use" computer and 1 or 2TB hard drives, who would indeed use that X3 "formula" (example in this
thread: "what is the feasibility of using a small SSD drive to just store the entire PF on?"), along with the regular use of reg. cleaners and other snake oil performance "optimizers".
Teeth gnashing stuff to see, but these users are not stupid, they are just sailing in a sea of uncontrolled conflicting internet advice and knowledge. They find more and more solid ground as experience grows. Hopefully anyway : )
It is hard to dissuade them, because that well meaning advice (and not so well meaning) is all over the internet telling them to use such "magic" PF formulas and "performance enhancing" software!
I still can't believe the amount PC rubbish I used to believe 20yrs. ago or for that matter, 5yrs ago! :-0