When opening Windows Live Mail: 'To help protect your account information, Please sign in again"

Anonymous
2013-11-05T04:14:16+00:00

I just started getting the following message every time I use MS Live Mail:  "To help protect your account information, Please sign in again". 

A box opens with that message inside every time.  If I select the  OK button, it allows me to log in to live mail again.  But if I select the close button it simply starts the live mail software. 

I'm converting from a private email host to windows live mail service utilizing outlook.com and plan to stop using the old service provider at the end of the month.  I've been receiving emails through both accounts for about 30 days.

I've checked both accounts, they've both been normal and both work well.  My virus software has reported no problems during daily scans.

Is this a suspicious box or is something wrong?

Original title: Please sign in again

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-30T09:39:30+00:00

The program requests that you login every time.

Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-06T15:58:33+00:00

    OK, thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T19:01:31+00:00

    Thanks Firedog, it worked perfectly for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-10T19:45:09+00:00

    "If you don't sign into Live Mail you will only see the emails that you've previously received because it has been already downloaded from the server or web."

    I do not sign into Live, and I do receive all my email. My mail is from my provider's server.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-16T14:36:17+00:00

    When you get the message, just cancel out and let your Windows LiveMail open.  Then in the upper right hand corner, there is a Sign In icon for Microsoft.  Just re-sign in and you should be good.

    I had changed my Microsoft password on another device, so I'm sure I will get this on my other ones as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments