When opening Windows Live Mail: 'To help protect your account information, Please sign in again"

Anonymous
2013-11-05T04:14:16+00:00

I just started getting the following message every time I use MS Live Mail:  "To help protect your account information, Please sign in again". 

A box opens with that message inside every time.  If I select the  OK button, it allows me to log in to live mail again.  But if I select the close button it simply starts the live mail software. 

I'm converting from a private email host to windows live mail service utilizing outlook.com and plan to stop using the old service provider at the end of the month.  I've been receiving emails through both accounts for about 30 days.

I've checked both accounts, they've both been normal and both work well.  My virus software has reported no problems during daily scans.

Is this a suspicious box or is something wrong?

Original title: Please sign in again

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-30T09:39:30+00:00

The program requests that you login every time.

Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-06T14:23:51+00:00

    Yea I'm running W8.1 32-bit. If I go to account.live.com I can sign in with my password and username just fine. I have the recovery code and two-step authentication is not setup as I have a smartphone but this account is for work, not my personal account.

    If I hit cancel on the login screen it still shows I'm logged in and my contacts and calendar are all available as per usual. If I hit log out then I get the default calendar and contacts. But hitting cancel on either the authentication popup or the login screen leaves me logged in and able to access my contacts and calendar lol.

    I didn't realize this thread had been answered. I was just pointed to this thread by a thread that I had started (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-signin/windows-live-mail-constant-password-loop-error/b9ea4628-5f81-486d-9b6c-256a8b5b6c41) and it was the exact issue I was experiencing so I commented. I didn't think to look at the dates - my bad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-06T14:27:39+00:00

    So I just opened WLM again and instead of just clicking sign in on the sign in screen I re-entered my password and now it worked perfectly. It shows my avatar and name as you said it should. Strange that I never changed the password yet it has always worked fin up until about a week ago. Either way it's fixed now, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-06T15:07:27+00:00

    ... now it worked perfectly. It shows my avatar and name as you said it should.

    That's good to hear. Perhaps all it takes is to remove and then re-enter the password.

    ... two-step authentication is not setup as I have a smartphone ...        

    That's not so good to hear. I don't quite see the connection. If you use a browser in the phone to access your outlook.com account, it might be a pain always having to enter the security code, but if you're using some sort of app to access the account, you just generate a unique app password to use instead. Two-step verification is a lot safer all round, especially when you're using multiple devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-06T15:28:21+00:00

    I don't' access the email at all on mobile. We have three accounts - sales, parts and service - and they're all connected to the same PC with the WLM installation and that's all we use to check it so there's no need to enter a password every time. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments