When opening Windows Live Mail: 'To help protect your account information, Please sign in again"

Anonymous
2013-11-05T04:14:16+00:00

I just started getting the following message every time I use MS Live Mail:  "To help protect your account information, Please sign in again". 

A box opens with that message inside every time.  If I select the  OK button, it allows me to log in to live mail again.  But if I select the close button it simply starts the live mail software. 

I'm converting from a private email host to windows live mail service utilizing outlook.com and plan to stop using the old service provider at the end of the month.  I've been receiving emails through both accounts for about 30 days.

I've checked both accounts, they've both been normal and both work well.  My virus software has reported no problems during daily scans.

Is this a suspicious box or is something wrong?

Original title: Please sign in again

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-30T09:39:30+00:00

The program requests that you login every time.

Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T14:18:26+00:00

    The program requests that you login every time.

    Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

    Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

    As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

     

    It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

    It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

    You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

    I too just started having this issue last week. And contrary to your beliefs jFiredog, clicking cancel DOES NOT load the default contacts and calendar. When I click cancel it goes away and on the top right it shows that I AM SIGNED IN and all of my contacts and calendar is available, not defaults. I'm going to try what others said seems to have worked and click "stop signing in" then redo it and see what happens.

    But no, clicking cancel on either of these prompts leaves WLM STILL SIGNED IN and everything works perfectly normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-10T16:52:57+00:00

    Hello All,

    Well it has just happened to me too today on a Windows 8 platform

    The note is in an oblong pale grey frame, with title      Mail     on the grey top bar, which ends with a white diagonal cross on a darker grey oblong field.

    The body of the message on a white background begins with a diagonal white cross on a red round disk  background. Then comes the message: To help protect your account information, please sign in again.

    Below this on the grey frame bottom bar, towards the right are two buttons, OK and Cancel, neither of which appear to have a valid function.

    In the WIndows live mail programme, mails are downloading normally.

    The window appears to me not to come from Microsoft at all, but is like a scam. I just wonder what else is going on in the background.

    In the meantime I am going to change my password, just in case.

    Appreciate any further insights - such as "Don't worry, this is a genuine Microsoft popup..." or "It isn't from us" etc.

    Screen shot inop at present...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T09:24:03+00:00

    Hi MichelleZZ,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community. 

    I apologize for the inconvenience. For us to isolate your issue, kindly verify if you are using Windows Live Mail when accessing your account on your computer? If yes, please provide us the following information:

    -Does the issue happen when accessing your account using a web browser via Outlook.com?

    -Screenshot of the error message

    To capture screenshots kindly click on the link below for the detailed steps.

    -For Vista/Windows 7

    -For Windows 8

    -Mac Computers: Refer customers to their computer’s help directory.

    Please provide the screenshot on the private message I have created. Don't forget to sign in to Microsoft Community Forum to view the link.

    Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated. I look forward to your reply.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-21T22:43:51+00:00

    I keep having this problem.

    It has gotten to the point where it keeps happening more and more often.

    I use hotmail on phone, tablet, computer.  This only happens on the computer with Vista.

    Sooo sick of this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments