When opening Windows Live Mail: 'To help protect your account information, Please sign in again"

Anonymous
2013-11-05T04:14:16+00:00

I just started getting the following message every time I use MS Live Mail:  "To help protect your account information, Please sign in again". 

A box opens with that message inside every time.  If I select the  OK button, it allows me to log in to live mail again.  But if I select the close button it simply starts the live mail software. 

I'm converting from a private email host to windows live mail service utilizing outlook.com and plan to stop using the old service provider at the end of the month.  I've been receiving emails through both accounts for about 30 days.

I've checked both accounts, they've both been normal and both work well.  My virus software has reported no problems during daily scans.

Is this a suspicious box or is something wrong?

Original title: Please sign in again

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-30T09:39:30+00:00

The program requests that you login every time.

Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T15:40:58+00:00

    ... clicking cancel DOES NOT load the default contacts and calendar.

    That rather depends on what you're cancelling. I was responding to Gale Fursdon, who complained that she was being asked to 'login every time'. I took that to mean that she was being invited to sign in each time the program started. Dismissing the sign-in dialogue by clicking Cancel would leave her not signed in and with the default calendar and contacts. If you're talking about a different 'login' instruction or request, then cancelling it may well have a different result. This is the one I was referring to:

    This dialogue will not appear next time you launch the program if you click Stop signing in on the Connection tab of program options.

    The OP had the same issue I have now.  I'm stuck in the login screen / verification popup loop. Whether I click cancel on the popup or the login screen it doesn't matter I'm still logged in. It's just annoying as hell to have to do it every time I open WLM now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T14:53:46+00:00

    Yea it didn't work for me. I clicked stop signing in, then closed and reopened WLM then clicked sign in and still had the same issue. I put in my username and password then this comes up:

    I hit OK and get this:

    So my username is there and password is in and I hit "Sign In". Then I get the first picture again. Now if I click "Cancel" on either the prompt or the login screen it goes away and I'm STILL LOGGED IN! See below:

    I'm still logged in even though I hit "Cancel." It gives me the option to log out. My contacts and calendar are all there as they should be when I'm logged in - not just defaults.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T14:53:36+00:00

    ... clicking cancel DOES NOT load the default contacts and calendar.

    That rather depends on what you're cancelling. I was responding to Gale Fursdon, who complained that she was being asked to 'login every time'. I took that to mean that she was being invited to sign in each time the program started. Dismissing the sign-in dialogue by clicking Cancel would leave her not signed in and with the default calendar and contacts. If you're talking about a different 'login' instruction or request, then cancelling it may well have a different result. This is the one I was referring to:

    This dialogue will not appear next time you launch the program if you click Stop signing in on the Connection tab of program options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T14:18:26+00:00

    The program requests that you login every time.

    Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

    Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

    As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

     

    It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

    It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

    You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

    I too just started having this issue last week. And contrary to your beliefs jFiredog, clicking cancel DOES NOT load the default contacts and calendar. When I click cancel it goes away and on the top right it shows that I AM SIGNED IN and all of my contacts and calendar is available, not defaults. I'm going to try what others said seems to have worked and click "stop signing in" then redo it and see what happens.

    But no, clicking cancel on either of these prompts leaves WLM STILL SIGNED IN and everything works perfectly normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments