When opening Windows Live Mail: 'To help protect your account information, Please sign in again"

Anonymous
2013-11-05T04:14:16+00:00

I just started getting the following message every time I use MS Live Mail:  "To help protect your account information, Please sign in again". 

A box opens with that message inside every time.  If I select the  OK button, it allows me to log in to live mail again.  But if I select the close button it simply starts the live mail software. 

I'm converting from a private email host to windows live mail service utilizing outlook.com and plan to stop using the old service provider at the end of the month.  I've been receiving emails through both accounts for about 30 days.

I've checked both accounts, they've both been normal and both work well.  My virus software has reported no problems during daily scans.

Is this a suspicious box or is something wrong?

Original title: Please sign in again

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-30T09:39:30+00:00

The program requests that you login every time.

Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-30T17:53:30+00:00

    The program requests that you login every time.

    Only if you configure it to do so. If you don't want to sign in every time, when viewing your message list press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Stop signing in. You may have to sign in first to activate the Stop signing in button.

    Clicking cancel lets you into the program including calendar and Contacts.

    As I wrote earlier, if you don't sign in, you will load the default calendar and contacts list.

     

    It seems that it is just an annoying routine that serves no good

    It serves precisely the purpose it was designed to serve: to make available the calendar and contacts list associated with the account you sign in with. These will be synchronized with those at calendar.live.com and contacts.live.com respectively, so that up-to-date versions are available to you from any computer or other device with an Internet connection. You will find hundreds of sorry tales in these forums about users who lost their contacts lists as a result of hardware failure or other unforeseen incidents; if they had signed in routinely, there wouldn't have been a problem with lost contacts.

    You must also be signed in to be able to use some photo-sharing features of the program and of Windows.

    I did the control+shift+o and changed to do not sign. Then I opened Live mail. I again went to the control+shift+o and changed back to sign in and put in my sign in and password, remember me and now my Live Mail works fine. Hope it works for others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-14T11:10:37+00:00

    I am having the exact same issue.  Signing in does nothing.  Its getting quite annoying.  There has got to be a fix?

    It appears that Microsoft are not interested

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T13:17:01+00:00

    I have the same situation.  The box pops up stating To protect your account, please sign in again.

    I click OK and a box appears with my username and password there.  I click okay and nothing happens.  The only way to get rid of the box is to click cancel.  Then my mail downloads from the server.

    I can also click cancel in the first box, the one that states To protect your account, please sign in again and my mail downloads from server.  I'm tired of this useless box every time I go to my mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-07T02:21:52+00:00

    The message comes up ever time I open Live Mail. I click cancel and Live Mail automatically logs in  and I receive my mail.

    Why does the message appear every time if in fact Live Mail in logging into my mail account. How do I get rid of the superfluous message, or how do satisfy its requirement to log in again? I tried signing out and signing back in and the message reappears the next time I open Live mail.

    Looks more like a bug than a feature.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments