BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-09T08:41:34+00:00

    I have tried everything but my windows 8 will not allow me to delete the background container task. There is no option to delete. Very frustrated ! Please help before I have to pay someone to fix it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-09T16:50:51+00:00

    I can't delete the task....i have windows 8. There is no option to delete. Pls help !

    Carefully follow the steps provided by quietman7 MS MVP for using Autoruns to delete the BackgroundContainer.dll startup entry:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T19:37:08+00:00

    bachgroundcontaier.dll

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-13T15:26:24+00:00

    I have tried everything but my windows 8 will not allow me to delete the background container task. There is no option to delete. Very frustrated ! Please help before I have to pay someone to fix it

    Its a glitch .. open a new user account ... migrate your data ... close down acc. with err

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments