BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T20:04:50+00:00

    Could this be appearing then because I uninstalled  Skype, which is nothing but trouble?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-24T03:19:43+00:00

    Yes, that could be the trouble. You uninstalled and it didn't take out everything. It left a residual behind, something that is asking the computer to do something, which gives you the prompt on your screen. I defeated this by reinstalling the last item I uninstalled, Chrome, and then uninstalling it again being careful to use Microsoft's Uninstall program. Walla, it worked, and the prompts disappeared. Then I reinstalled Chrome because I wanted to use it, being careful to tell it not to give me all of those add-ons that I don't want. It may have been a Chrome add-on that gave me a fit, but by uninstalling Chrome altogether I eliminated the desktop prompt problem...so that's all I am sure of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-24T03:53:27+00:00

    Thanks so much.  It is certainly worth a try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-27T02:50:46+00:00

    I too thank you for the answer to this same problem.  I have a recent os install to a new ssd and tried some codec downloads for vlc and wmp from download.com.  I also did a trial for cyberlink bluray player for my new bluray drive. I think this was all that didn't come on a product disk or steam download.  I was unhappy with the results and got rid of the stuff and what I assumed was plain old add ons.  I just have windows defender.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments