BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-18T04:06:13+00:00

    I have the same problem and have tried the procedure you give but when I look for the background container in the task scheduler library folder, it is not listed so I can not delete it. any other suggestions?

    The only other suggestion I have is the one that you'll find at the top of this page: If you can’t find the task, then use Autoruns to find and remove the BackgroundContainer.dll “startup entry”. Use the File > Find option as per the instructions of quietman7 MS MVP:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

    GreginMich

    I couldn't find the file but that autorun application found it.  highlighted it and several others in yellow, and I was able to delete it.  Very useful

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-27T13:05:26+00:00

    The stage at which you are prompted with a pop-up stating There was a problem starting “**C:\…..\…\Conduit\BackgroundContainer.dll”**is when your virus protection software removes the actual program but the traces left in the registry are scheduled to load it.backgroundcontainer.dll

    backgroundcontainer.dll

    In order to resolve this issue, download Autoruns and save it to your computer.

     backgroundcontainer.dll

    Create a folder on your C:\ drive and extract Autoruns in it.

     backgroundcontainer.dll

    Run Autoruns from the saved folder and right click the autoruns.exe file and select “Run as administrator” to launch it.

    Wait for autoruns to scan system for registry entries, when done check for Entries under Everythingtab.

    Click File -> Find and type backgroundcontainer.dllthen click Find.

    After it locates the entry, right click it and select delete and REBOOT your computer.

    Source: http://appuals.com/fixing-backgroundcontainer-dll-error/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-28T13:47:56+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for sharing your experience and resolution on Microsoft Community forum.

    I truly appreciate your efforts in resolving the problem. It is good to note that you were able to figure out the root cause and resolved the issue. The steps you updated will help other community members to solve their similar issues.

    In addition to that, please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be glad to assist you again.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-28T14:09:01+00:00

    got it and fixed it a while back but I am glad you are still reposting the answer and breaking it down as well it means a lot

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments