BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-28T08:58:48+00:00

    i had the same problem too but my Norton internet security would have none of it and removed it before i even knew it existed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-25T17:23:50+00:00

    Thanks very helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-01T08:32:45+00:00

    Right on time and I have windows 8.1 enterprise and just used what you suggested, I am glad that it was not a serious problem and more of a fail safe that could be remedied as easy as a delete Thanks again.

    PS. for some reason I come to this forum last instead of 1st. and I apologize for that because this is a very good support group that you guys have put together, hopefully I can offer some relevant suggestions one day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-24T19:50:28+00:00

    Man, you rocked this question, Bill.  You gave us an Excellent clear and correct answer.  Thanks so much for helping us on this obscure nuisance. BTW people, I go this Conduit malware when I D/L MSI Afterburner from the Cnet web portal.  Cnet has great information but I will never use their site to D/L any software from now on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments