BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T07:21:24+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the update on the issue and good to hear that your issue is resolved by running the Autorun mentioned by Gregin. In addition to that feel free to post on the forum and we will be glad to assist you again.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-17T21:32:24+00:00

    Thanks for the response, and had the link I clicked on in the search engine dropped me into the previous pages I would have most likely read the previous responses. However it dropped me on the last page and the solution wasn’t exactly there and granted had I dropped to the bottom of the page I would have seen I was on the fifth page and not one through four.

    I followed the advice and downloaded the “Autorun” files you instructed me to download, there were two (2) executable files to open and I finally figured it out. However the “backgroundcontainer” again eluded initial searches and clicking “up/down” and other search options did not help nor did a cursory search by my older eyes so I closed it out and started over.

    It did find it sort of? “BackgroundcontainerV2” popped up in the second search located in C:\User but said it could not be found. After deletion and a reboot the computer is running like it should. Appreciate the help whether the condescension or sarcasm was intended you were still a big help and I wish I had found you before buying a registry cleaner and malware program to the tune of $56.00. Have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy 2015 as I hope it is good to you and all your friends and coworkers who take care of us the half-hearted and often computer illiterate. ~Cheers.~

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-17T20:43:15+00:00

    Well that is all wonderful but the file is not there to delete. I have watched 5 different YouTube Videos all show the same thing and doing what you said to do in this post, however when I go there it is not there. When i go back 7 days and refresh nothing, 30 days refresh nothing. The file/folder is not there yet I am getting the same error, C:\User\Bill\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll so what do I do now?

    Try reading the previous page in this thread, where I answered your question twice. If you’d like to be helpful, you can let us know where Autoruns does find the “Startup entry” for the BackgroundContainer.dll file when there’s no scheduled task.

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-17T19:30:25+00:00

    Well that is all wonderful but the file is not there to delete. I have watched 5 different YouTube Videos all show the same thing and doing what you said to do in this post, however when I go there it is not there. When i go back 7 days and refresh nothing, 30 days refresh nothing. The file/folder is not there yet I am getting the same error, C:\User\Bill\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll so what do I do now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments