BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T17:12:18+00:00

    Hi there I'm having the same problem on my laptop. I don't mean to butt in and take over but recently I used my laptop to make a disk to fix another laptop that got the FBI Moneypak virus. And the anti-virus that I had to install to fix the problem was Hit man pro. Hitman pro went through my own laptop too. Yet I was running avast. And when all said and done uninstalling hitman pro it tried to attack my computer and avast grabbed it in the process. But ever since the same RunDLL error is taking place. And even for me this was last week. It's fairly new delima I'm having. I can kill it manually after startup by simply closing it, or in task manager it's running as rundll32.exe *32

    Going into edit start up and unchecked the program I thought it was did nothing to stop it. And I only have 11 startup processes. I have reason to believe it is avast itself due to the fact I cannot disable it on startup.

    But I can add that editing the schedule tasks as your link located a bit above was helpful and fixed it.

    Once again my apologies I don't irritate anyone. Sincerely J

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-16T15:51:44+00:00

    c:\users\

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T12:03:54+00:00

    Thanks for the positive feedback, Tom. We still don’t have the details on what’s removing the backgroundcontainer.dll file or why the scheduled task remains behind. Can you tell us the name of your antivirus program and whether or not it detected backgroundcontainer.dll as malware and removed it? You mentioned removing an add-on; does that mean that a toolbar was still installed and that you fixed the error-message issue by removing the toolbar in Programs and Features? Any information that you can provide about the identity of the add-on, what led you to remove it, etc., will give us all a better understanding of what’s going on. If you would also respond with that information in your own thread, it would be a great help. Thanks again.

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T05:52:27+00:00

    GreginMich your answers led to the cure or fix of a malware problem with backgroundcontainer.dll that kept posting notes following bootup saying that module could not be found. heck, i had no idea what module or what it was supposed to do, but removed it by finding the add-on it was part of and uninstalling that... your advice greatly help me in this. --tomwinfield

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments