BackgroundContainer.dll module not found

Anonymous
2013-10-17T17:54:09+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-29T14:35:58+00:00

When my computer starts up, I get the following error message:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Specific module not found

 

Anyone have any idea what this is?

We’ve already identified the problem – it’s a scheduled task named “BackgroundContainer” that’s attempting to run the BackgroundContainer.dll malware file, which has already been removed. The fact that the “startup item” for the malware’s dll file is a scheduled task is actually “good news”, because it means that you don’t have to edit your registry, or use Autoruns, or uninstall/reinstall any program in order to remove the error message – all you have to do is delete the BackgroundContainer scheduled task. I originally used a link for the removal procedure because that’s where you’ll also find the “authorization” and testimonials for the procedure. So here’s the proof that this procedure will work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_other-protect\_scanning/error-message-on-start-up-windows-8/7f29c7ad-2d55-4f1c-8110-ddca3902f596

And, for the benefit of those who maybe just don’t understand what’s going on in that thread, here’s the procedure for removing the BackgroundContainer scheduled task:

Press the Windows key + R

Type “taskschd.msc”

Press the Enter key

Click on the Task Scheduler Library folder

Right-click on the BackgroundContainer task

Select "Delete”

Here’s a good removal guide that you can follow up with to make sure that all traces of the malware are removed:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

And here’s the main thread for this issue in the Virus and Malware Forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_scanner-protect\_scanning/run-dll-error-messagebackground-containerdll/49612202-667e-4a71-8e9a-d02161d8bc19

GreginMich

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T20:04:50+00:00

    Could this be appearing then because I uninstalled  Skype, which is nothing but trouble?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T17:41:18+00:00

    Same problem as KariMichel asked about on October 17th.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T18:02:35+00:00

    Thank you Tom! Your right I think that's the overall delima but no matter I got it now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T17:42:49+00:00

    Hi there I'm having the same problem on my laptop. I don't mean to butt in and take over but recently I used my laptop to make a disk to fix another laptop that got the FBI Moneypak virus. And the anti-virus that I had to install to fix the problem was Hit man pro. Hitman pro went through my own laptop too. Yet I was running avast. And when all said and done uninstalling hitman pro it tried to attack my computer and avast grabbed it in the process. But ever since the same RunDLL error is taking place. And even for me this was last week. It's fairly new delima I'm having. I can kill it manually after startup by simply closing it, or in task manager it's running as rundll32.exe *32

    Going into edit start up and unchecked the program I thought it was did nothing to stop it. And I only have 11 startup processes. I have reason to believe it is avast itself due to the fact I cannot disable it on startup.

    Once again my apologies I don't irritate anyone. Sincerely J

    to jfreedomchick--the problem is that when you uninstalled Hitmanpro it left a residual that is telling your computer to do something, so you get the notice on your desktop that you have to close. I got rid of this problem by re-installing a program I had uninstalled that left the command behind, and then uninstalling it again. that time it took the whole program with it and I saw no more notices. I used Microsoft Uninstall to do it...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments