How do I disable split screen for opening links?

Anonymous
2013-10-21T19:00:24+00:00

I am running Win 8.1 on a TABLET.  I have about 9 inches of screen real estate to work with.

If I click a link in, say, the Mail app, it will launch IE in 50/50 mode with the existing mail app (which then rearranges itself to only show the single message I was looking at).

This is not at all helpful.  This gives me a four inch web browser, which isn't big enough to see clearly at all.  The controls are all too close together to operate by touch, etc.  I am then forced to manually drag to expand the IE window to full screen.  Unfortunately, the control to do this is also rather small, and I usually miss the first two times.  It typically takes me about 10-15 seconds between clicking a link in email and being able to read the corresponding web page.

Windows 8 handled this correctly.  I would like to revert to the behavior of always opening apps in full screen mode.  How can I accomplish this?

I know it should be possible.  If I hold the tablet in portrait mode, the annoying split window thing does not happen.  (It's not natural for me to hold it this way all the time.)

Is there a registry setting or something for "Always open new apps in full screen mode"?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-01T22:39:21+00:00

    on a tablet, we don't want to use IE in Desktop mode.

    Then you can just immediately use the Desktop's right-click Open in Immersive browser.   No split screen then.  Otherwise, if it is the extra swipe that bothers you, you can always do an Alt-Space M  (M for Maximize mnemonic value instead of x for its compatibility with existing keystroke sequences which provide the same function.)   I'm sure all these use-cases have been very carefully thought out...  ; }

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T00:54:14+00:00

    on a tablet, we don't want to use IE in Desktop mode.

    Then you can just immediately use the Desktop's right-click Open in Immersive browser.   No split screen then.  Otherwise, if it is the extra swipe that bothers you, you can always do an Alt-Space M  (M for Maximize mnemonic value instead of x for its compatibility with existing keystroke sequences which provide the same function.)   I'm sure all these use-cases have been very carefully thought out...  ; }

    Tablet = no mouse for right clicking, no keyboard for Alt-Space M.

    Right now the extra swipe is the only viable workaround, but as has been previously mentioned, the split-screen feature is neither desirable nor useful on a tablet and most of us tablet users would like to be able to eliminate the "feature".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T02:38:26+00:00

    Tablet = no mouse for right clicking, no keyboard for Alt-Space M.

    Touch settings:  Right-click = Press and hold.

    Keyboard =  OSK or Settings charm Language bar bottom item.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T03:44:31+00:00

    Touch settings:  Right-click = Press and hold.

    Keyboard =  OSK or Settings charm Language bar bottom item.

    Neither one of those options seem like less hassle than an extra swipe.  Not to me, anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-12T16:22:56+00:00

    I have the same problem on my Dell Venue 8 pro. I hate it when it splits the screen when I click on an email link. The screen is small enough that this arrangement is useless and I always have to find the divider and swipe to make the browser take the whole screen. In Windows 8.0 at least it would always open in full screen mode.

    This is one of the many reasons people hate Windows 8.1. If there was an option to revert to the old behavior I would be OK with that. Please don't assume that all users want split screen view all the time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments