I have the same issue & your solution does not work. Please help!
How do I disable split screen for opening links?
I am running Win 8.1 on a TABLET. I have about 9 inches of screen real estate to work with.
If I click a link in, say, the Mail app, it will launch IE in 50/50 mode with the existing mail app (which then rearranges itself to only show the single message I was looking at).
This is not at all helpful. This gives me a four inch web browser, which isn't big enough to see clearly at all. The controls are all too close together to operate by touch, etc. I am then forced to manually drag to expand the IE window to full screen. Unfortunately, the control to do this is also rather small, and I usually miss the first two times. It typically takes me about 10-15 seconds between clicking a link in email and being able to read the corresponding web page.
Windows 8 handled this correctly. I would like to revert to the behavior of always opening apps in full screen mode. How can I accomplish this?
I know it should be possible. If I hold the tablet in portrait mode, the annoying split window thing does not happen. (It's not natural for me to hold it this way all the time.)
Is there a registry setting or something for "Always open new apps in full screen mode"?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-01-13T17:35:10+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-01-19T07:33:12+00:00 I don't know how to disable it. But if you move your cursor to the top of the new app till it turns into the hand, you can double-click and it will make the app full screen. If you double-click the hand again, it will go back to split-screen.
-
Anonymous
2014-01-19T12:10:06+00:00 many thanks very helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-01-19T18:38:39+00:00 I don't know how to disable it. But if you move your cursor to the top of the new app till it turns into the hand, you can double-click and it will make the app full screen. If you double-click the hand again, it will go back to split-screen.
Thanks a lot - works fine for me!
-
Anonymous
2014-01-28T21:12:55+00:00 I don't know how to disable it. But if you move your cursor to the top of the new app till it turns into the hand, you can double-click and it will make the app full screen. If you double-click the hand again, it will go back to split-screen.
The original poster as well as myself are using touchscreens so therefore there is no cursor and this is not even a viable workaround let alone a proper solution to the original question. Microsoft should let consumers decide how they would like to use their device not force them to use them the way Microsoft wants them to be used. Microsoft please don't be like Apple.
In the meantime can someone at Microsoft please tell us how to turn off this automatic split screen feature of the 8.1 update? I would like the split screen feature to behave the way it did under Win 8.0
Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance.