I also have this problem on a 14" laptop using a touchpad and a mouse. Seriously, opening links full screen was great. Left swift on the touchpad to go back to the previous app, really neat. I'd like to be able to opt out of automatic split screen (note
guys, if you change app behavior, give people who are already using them heavily the option to revert back, seems fair).
A lot of apps have built-in browsers to quickly read something so if I open in IE I expect the full screen experience, which is great (touchpad controls are even better with 8.1, though tab management needs more input but anyway).
I think I've never needed to split windows on Win8. The touchpad swift or win+tab are efficient enough. When I'll have a 20" tablet, that probably will change but we are not there yet.
The full screen design is for some people, really awesome. I'd like to be able to write email full screen again too. After years of small boxes in browser tabs, it feels too good. Soothing almost.
Anyway, waiting for the "always open new apps in full screen mode" switch too!