How do I disable split screen for opening links?

Anonymous
2013-10-21T19:00:24+00:00

I am running Win 8.1 on a TABLET.  I have about 9 inches of screen real estate to work with.

If I click a link in, say, the Mail app, it will launch IE in 50/50 mode with the existing mail app (which then rearranges itself to only show the single message I was looking at).

This is not at all helpful.  This gives me a four inch web browser, which isn't big enough to see clearly at all.  The controls are all too close together to operate by touch, etc.  I am then forced to manually drag to expand the IE window to full screen.  Unfortunately, the control to do this is also rather small, and I usually miss the first two times.  It typically takes me about 10-15 seconds between clicking a link in email and being able to read the corresponding web page.

Windows 8 handled this correctly.  I would like to revert to the behavior of always opening apps in full screen mode.  How can I accomplish this?

I know it should be possible.  If I hold the tablet in portrait mode, the annoying split window thing does not happen.  (It's not natural for me to hold it this way all the time.)

Is there a registry setting or something for "Always open new apps in full screen mode"?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T18:38:39+00:00

    I don't know how to disable it.  But if you move your cursor to the top of the new app till it turns into the hand, you can double-click and it will make the app full screen.  If you double-click the hand again, it will go back to split-screen.

    Thanks a lot - works fine for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T12:10:06+00:00

    many thanks    very helpful

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T07:33:12+00:00

    I don't know how to disable it.  But if you move your cursor to the top of the new app till it turns into the hand, you can double-click and it will make the app full screen.  If you double-click the hand again, it will go back to split-screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T17:35:10+00:00

    I have the same issue & your solution does not work. Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T17:23:57+00:00

    Is there any way to stop links from popping up and taking over half the screen? I am glad a microsoft person gave a suggestion, but it would help if the suggestion was relevant to the question.

    So, again, is there a way to open links only in full screen?????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments