How do I disable split screen for opening links?

Anonymous
2013-10-21T19:00:24+00:00

I am running Win 8.1 on a TABLET.  I have about 9 inches of screen real estate to work with.

If I click a link in, say, the Mail app, it will launch IE in 50/50 mode with the existing mail app (which then rearranges itself to only show the single message I was looking at).

This is not at all helpful.  This gives me a four inch web browser, which isn't big enough to see clearly at all.  The controls are all too close together to operate by touch, etc.  I am then forced to manually drag to expand the IE window to full screen.  Unfortunately, the control to do this is also rather small, and I usually miss the first two times.  It typically takes me about 10-15 seconds between clicking a link in email and being able to read the corresponding web page.

Windows 8 handled this correctly.  I would like to revert to the behavior of always opening apps in full screen mode.  How can I accomplish this?

I know it should be possible.  If I hold the tablet in portrait mode, the annoying split window thing does not happen.  (It's not natural for me to hold it this way all the time.)

Is there a registry setting or something for "Always open new apps in full screen mode"?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-24T12:57:05+00:00

    If you make Chrome your default browser then this annoying behavior goes away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-16T05:53:35+00:00

    oops...made a mistake... sorry...

    do not check the checkbox option 'open ie tiles on the desktop'

    then you don't have to keep ie full screen and minimized....

    MS needs to fix this split screen BS.  Let the user choose how the interface behaves...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T09:33:53+00:00

    I am running Win 8.1 on a TABLET.  I have about 9 inches of screen real estate to work with.

    If I click a link in, say, the Mail app, it will launch IE in 50/50 mode with the existing mail app (which then rearranges itself to only show the single message I was looking at).

    This is not at all helpful.  This gives me a four inch web browser, which isn't big enough to see clearly at all.  The controls are all too close together to operate by touch, etc.  I am then forced to manually drag to expand the IE window to full screen.  Unfortunately, the control to do this is also rather small, and I usually miss the first two times.  It typically takes me about 10-15 seconds between clicking a link in email and being able to read the corresponding web page.

    Windows 8 handled this correctly.  I would like to revert to the behavior of always opening apps in full screen mode.  How can I accomplish this?

    I know it should be possible.  If I hold the tablet in portrait mode, the annoying split window thing does not happen.  (It's not natural for me to hold it this way all the time.)

    Is there a registry setting or something for "Always open new apps in full screen mode"?

    Once again, can someone at Microsoft give us a solution to this problem?  Automatically splitting the screen on small touchscreens is VERY counterproductive.  We have been waiting for a proper solution for 8 1/2 months!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T17:35:10+00:00

    I have the same issue & your solution does not work. Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-22T21:52:42+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion.  I was quite hopeful when I saw it.

    Unfortunately, I just tried it, and it did NOT work.

    Links continue to split the screen 50/50 and open side by side.

    So the problem persists even with this setting.

    Do you have any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments