Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Anonymous
2014-01-11T16:51:52+00:00

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:

When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:

  1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
  2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
  3. Reboot
  4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
  5. Install drivers.
  6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
  7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
  8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
  9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
  10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
  11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS

a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.

b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.

c. I have applied all Windows updates.

d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-15T14:03:31+00:00

    My version of this problem (and thanks to all the previous posters for their efforts)

    I just have to restart the computer.  Not log off log on actually restart.  Then it's ok for a while (hours, days) and then "cannot communicate with scanner" and repeat repeat

    I think I've tried all relevant suggestions above.   

    Using services.msc then stopping and then starting the Epson Scanner Service does the trick - is there any way of creating a desktop shortcut to do this so as to permit the less savvy in the house to do this.

    Thanks

    win7 pro  epson xp-402   usb connection

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-01-15T17:56:36+00:00

    You shouldn't need to stop and restart a service to get it working, but if it works ....

    You can start and stop services from an Elevated Command Prompt (i.e., "Run as administrator") using the NET STOP and NET START commands.  See the example here:  https://www.coretechnologies.com/blog/windows-services/essential-tools-for-windows-services-net-command/

    The catch is that in order to run the command with administrator rights you have to create a batch file (*.bat) with the command, then create a shortcut to the batch file, then go into the properties of the shortcut and check the box to "Run as administrator."

    Even then, however, when you double-click the shortcut you'll get the UAC prompt and the user will have to input the password for an administrator account.

    If you don't want the UAC account to appear, there are ways around that as well. 

    Here's one:  http://superuser.com/questions/788924/is-it-possible-to-automatically-run-a-batch-file-as-administrator

    Before you do all of the above, make sure that the NET STOP command works for your Epson service.  If it doesn't try the SC command (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/133883/stop-and-start-a-service-via-batch-or-cmd-file)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-16T16:54:13+00:00

    Cracked it, many many thanks for the help. 

    I suspect the NET STOP line is superfluous but cant't be bothered to prove it.

    Just to lay it out really simply for others

    If when you try to use your epson scanner (all-in-one printer) and it beeps and says Cannot Communicate with the Scanner

    So this is what you do

    Open Notepad and type as follow (or copy and paste the four lines below)

    rem to solve the cannot communicate with epson scanner problem

    rem EpsonScanCommunicate.bat

    net stop EpsonScanSvc

    net start EpsonScanSvc

    Then save the file somewhere (I used My Documents, but whatever) using the name

    EpsonScanCommunicate.bat  (file saveas Save as Type All Files IMPORTANT)

    Then On desktop right click New Shortcut Libraries Documents and then start typing epsonscan.. and it will autofill, click Next and choose a name such as Epson Scanner Restart

    and there you go.

    Change names as you like, but avoid spaces in the filename

    The posts immediately above deal with admin rights which might matter to you

    Now when the problem arises click on this shortcut and try again, and, I hope it works as well for you as it is for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-19T19:11:44+00:00

    I've been fighting the same symptoms for two years on multiple DS-510 Epsons in my office. Thus far rebooting the computer fully is the only thing that will get them to reconnect. Two different OS's, drivers updated & reinstalled, firewall exceptions, hours of research. I tried restarting the epson scanner service today without success, but now I'm testing the Shell Hardware Detection service tip someone suggested on the previous page. I just had to reboot, there was a document that needed scanned by a deadline, but I'll see how that works and update from there. This particular issue has been haunting me for far too long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-06-15T12:07:21+00:00

    No luck with the Shell Hardware Detection, stopping and restarting the epsonscansvc just doesn't work. I can't figure out what else takes place during a physical reboot that makes it start working, but it's the only thing that reconnects the scanner communication. I haven't tried signing out and signing back in versus rebooting, I haven't been scanning as often lately. Next time I get the chance I'll try that and see what happens, maybe that'll further help identify why I can't get it to reconnect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments