BearPup,
Thank you so much for taking time to respond.
1. " Have you changed any software prior to installing your scanner?" The scanner was installed and working correctly. For no apparent reason the scanner stopped working. No new software was installed from the time it last worked to the time it was found not to work. However, it would seem obvious that something changed -- I just can't pinpoint it. The system has received automatic updates from Windows and Avast! and perhaps other programs. By the time we noticed the change, and I tried to fix it, the older instances of system restore had been pushed out by the newer fix attempts. So I can't regress the system.
2. "have you tried installing the drivers / using the scanner following a clean boot?" I'm not quite sure what you mean by a clean boot. I have booted in Safe mode, and it has failed. Windows Image Acquisition does not run in Safe mode, and EPSON told me this was the service the scanner runs through.
If by "clean boot" you mean uninstalling and reinstalling Window 7 OS, the answer is, no, I haven't tried that. That is a non-trivial and very time consuming option. I would like to try all other options before that.****Is there a way to clean boot (without OS reinstall) that allows me to only add one program / service at a time?3. "what do you use for the software interface for the scanner, i.e., do you use the software that came with the scanner or some third party application?" I use capture program that comes with the scanner, EPSON Scan. Note that Windows Paint acquires images through the Windows Image Acquisition service, so that attempt qualifies as a third party application. The answer is therefore, I have tried both OEM and Third Party and they both fail.
I *really* appreciate your assistance on this, and look forward to your further input.