Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Anonymous
2014-01-11T16:51:52+00:00

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:

When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:

  1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
  2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
  3. Reboot
  4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
  5. Install drivers.
  6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
  7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
  8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
  9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
  10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
  11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS

a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.

b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.

c. I have applied all Windows updates.

d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T09:01:15+00:00

    Hello,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. We would be glad to help you.

    I would suggest you to turn off Windows Firewall and check. Refer to the link below:

    Turn Windows Firewall on or off

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-windows-firewall-on-off#turn-windows-firewall-on-off=windows-7

    If disabling the firewall doesn’t work, then try disabling the antivirus.

    Disable anti-virus software

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

    Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

    If disabling the firewall works, then add the Epson program to the Windows Firewall exceptions list. Follow the steps below:

    1. Press the "Start" menu at the bottom of your computer screen to display the Start menu. Choose "Control Panel" from the right side of the Start menu. The Control Panel window will open up onto the desktop.
    2. Double-click on the "Windows Firewall" icon from the Control Panel. The Windows Firewall dialog box will open.
    3. Choose the "Exceptions" tab at the top of the Windows Firewall dialog box (if necessary).
    4. Click the "Add Program" button at the bottom of this list to open the Add a Program dialog box.
    5. Click on the “browse” button and browse to the location below and add it as an exception:        C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\escndv\escndv.exe
    6. Click the "OK" button to close the Add a Program dialog box and add the selected program as an exception

    For reference:

    Help: Add a program to the Windows Firewall exceptions list

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736438(v=WS.10).aspx

    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T14:03:23+00:00

    Deepak,

    Thank you for your help and suggestions.

    I have done as you recommended and it did not make a difference.

    These are my steps:

    Attempt 1

    1. Turned off Windows Firewall
    2. Detached, recycled power on scanner, re-attached scanner.
    3. Started EPSON Scan.  >>>  Same failure message
    4. Checked MS Paint.  >>>  The scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

    Attempt 2

    1. Turned off both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall
    2. Detached, recycled power on scanner, re-attached scanner.
    3. Started EPSON Scan.  >>>  Same failure message
    4. Checked MS Paint.  >>>  The scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

    Attempt 3

    1. Uninstalled ESPON Scan (with both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall DEACTIVATED)
    2. Detached scanner
    3. Rebooted
    4. Deactivated both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall
    5. Installed EPSON driver epson13936.exe dated July 20, 2010 2:54:21 PM
    6. Powered up and attached Scanner using USB
    7. Installing drivers message appeared.  Then the message that "EPSON Perfection V500 is installed and ready to use."
    8. Start EPSON Scan.  (both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall still DEACTIVATED)>>>  Same failure message
    9. Checked MS Paint.  >>>  The scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

    (One additional thing to mention:  I have also tried connecting with a different USB port.  I moved the scanner to the USB port the mouse was connected to.  The mouse worked in the old USB port and still works in the new USB port.  So both USB ports are good.   The error with the scanner still occurs.)

    I would appreciate any further assistance you can provide.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T15:15:33+00:00

    Does that Epson software feature the ABBYY Fine Reader add-in, if so uninstall it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T15:18:55+00:00

    Hello,

    I recently had a problem installing a print driver on a printer that had previously worked fine. The problem it turned out was my new firewall. Have you changed any software prior to installing your scanner?

    Second question:  have you tried installing the drivers / using the scanner following a clean boot? If so and it worked, then you'll need to add everything on your computer back in, one program / device at a time, in order to see when it stops working.

    Third question:  what do you use for the software interface for the scanner, i.e., do you use the software that came with the scanner or some third party application?

    I hope this helps; keep me posted.

    Regards,

    BearPup

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T19:32:14+00:00

    Hi Palcouk,

    Thanks for the suggestion.  It was one thing I hadn't thought of.  

    I uninstalled ABBY Fine Reader and rebooted.  Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.     Are there any other steps I need to do to complete this possible solution?

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments