@Samoht47 and anyone who might be having this problem. I have had this exact same annoying problem and I have finally found a way to fix it. The problem is that the scanner is not finding your printer's IP address. You need to put it in manually to fix this. Go into the printers network settings and find out what IP address it is using. Then go to Epson Scan Settings and add a new printer with this IP address. Once you do that test the scanner's connection. I was having this exact problem with one of my two Epson printers and noticed that the one that had no issues had the IP address detected on its own while the one with problems couldn't find the IP address.
The scanner settings should be able to detect the IP address on its own. Not sure why it couldn't do it now when it did it successfully before for me. I don't know if the IP address might change everytime the printer or router is restarted as I haven't tested it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it does as something triggered the scanner to fail and in my case, nothing was done apart from restarting an overheating router. Would be annoying having to manually change IP address all the time though,
Hope this helps!