Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Anonymous
2014-01-11T16:51:52+00:00

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:

When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:

  1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
  2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
  3. Reboot
  4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
  5. Install drivers.
  6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
  7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
  8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
  9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
  10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
  11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS

a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.

b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.

c. I have applied all Windows updates.

d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T11:20:02+00:00

    I did the selective start up and disabling the Microsoft services and the scanner works . Now what do I do ?

    i mean do I have to go back and reverse what I did ??

    i didn't have to load anything or reinstall the scanner . It automatically worked

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T06:23:54+00:00

    I fixed this same problem by typing services.msc in search box of Windows 7.   When' services' appears I opened it by clicking on it. From there I scrolled down to find ' SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION .'  It was disabled. I clicked on it and selected ' Automatic '. Closed that out and my scanner works fine now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-10-24T22:17:17+00:00

    LemP, would you please explain how to do this with a D-Link DIR-655 router and Epson XP-310 printer/scanner?  Thanks!

    Paoduro,

    I assume that by "how to do this" you mean that you want to know how to configure a static IP address for your printer.

    If your printer is already configured and working properly, it's actually a bit simpler to configure the router to "reserve" the IP address that is already assigned to the printer.  That way, you won't have to uninstall and reinstall the printer.  This has the same effect as using a static IP address:  the printer always has the same IP address, so the printer and scanning software in Windows will always be able to find the device where it expects it to be.

    A. Print a network status sheet to determine the printer's network settings  (manual, p. 31:  https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd38706.pdf)

    1. Press the home button, if necessary.
    2. Press the arrow buttons to select Wi-Fi Setup and press the OK button.
    3. Press the arrow buttons to select Print Status Sheet and press the OK button.
    4. Press the start button to print the network status sheet.

    Note the following items from the network status sheet:

    • Printer's IP address (this will be of the form 192.168.0.x)
    • Printer's hardware address or MAC address (this is 12 hexadecimal characters; it may be displayed with colons or dashes between every two characters -- 00:00:00:00:00:00 -- or as one string; upper/lower case can be ignored)
    • There also may be an entry for "host name" or "printer name" or something similar; I don't have any Epson devices, so I can't be specific here

    B.  Reserve the printer's IP address (manual: ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-655/REVA/DIR-655_REVA_MANUAL_2.30_EN.PDF)

    1. Open a web browser, enter the following in the address bar, and press Enter

         192.168.0.1

    (you also could enter http://dlinkrouter) 2. Select Admin from the dropdown menu and enter the password you created for your router; if you didn't create a password, leave the password field blank, which is the default 3. The User Guide for the DIR-655 that I found isn't clear on how to navigate through the web configuration utility, but you want to find the section for "Network settings" (manual p. 36) and then the subsection for "DHCP Reservation" (manual p. 38) 4. On the DHCP Reservation page: - Click the "Enable" box to check it - Use the dropdown box to see if your printer is listed; if so, click the left arrows; if not, enter the host name or printer name from the printer's network status sheet; if the printer is not in the dropdown list and the status sheet didn't have a printer name, use something that makes sense, such as EpsonXP310 - Enter the printer's IP address from the printer's network status sheet - Enter the printer's MAC address from the printer's network status sheet - Click the "Save" button (do NOT click the the button to "Copy your PC's MAC address") 5. Exit from the router's configuration utility (i.e., close the web page and/or the web browser)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-24T19:56:23+00:00

    LemP, would you please explain how to do this with a D-Link DIR-655 router and Epson XP-310 printer/scanner?  Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-29T03:45:15+00:00

    Just tested it and it reconnected to the same ip. Thanks for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments