Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Anonymous
2014-01-11T16:51:52+00:00

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:

When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:

  1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
  2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
  3. Reboot
  4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
  5. Install drivers.
  6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
  7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
  8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
  9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
  10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
  11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS

a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.

b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.

c. I have applied all Windows updates.

d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-19T21:07:30+00:00

    The first issue I did click on scanner settings but what you are seeing is my pointer ONLY POINTING.

    there is no choice to minimize or maximize . If I right click on the list there is open clicking on that does nothing it stays down there . I can't get a window to open to view it at all. By pointing is the only way I can see there is something there .  There is only one box not two that comes up and when I say comes up i mean stays AERO PEEK VIEW.

    I have installed and re- installed and still the same darn it

    Second part 

    about scanning to email . I don't want it scanning to outlook but want it scanning to my personal email .

    the only one in the list is OUTLOOK. How do I add mine?

    Thanks for your help 😀😀

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-19T20:15:23+00:00

    Your screenshot shows what you get when you double-click on the icon for the device in the "Devices and Printers" window.  It looks like you then double-clicked on the "Epson scan settings" icon.  The small image at the bottom is the "aero peek" view, which is supposed to show a window hidden behind the main, full-screen window.  It should come to the foreground when you click on it; if it doesn't try minimizing the (or even closing) the window that shows the two icons.

    Have you installed the Epson software that came with your 4540?  That will make configuring it a lot easier.

    Otherwise, instead of double-clicking the icon for your scanner in the Devices and Printers window, right-click it.  I don't have this product installed, but you should see a context menu with items such as "Properties" or "Scanner properties."  Select this and perhaps the configuration you're looking for will be available.

    As far as scanning directly to email is concerned, what email program are you using?  Your product's User Guide says:

    Scan to PC (Email) scans your original and attaches it to a message in your e-mail program. You can select the e-mail program you want to use and resize your image, if necessary, from an option screen on your computer.

    Note: This works with MAPI-type email such as Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Mac Mail, and Entourage, but not web-based email such as Gmail.

    Assuming that you've installed the Epson software, the User Guide says that your 4540 scans in 3 modes, Home, Office, or Professional.  In all modes, the default is to save the scan as a jpg file.  When you click the "Scan" button, the "File save settings" window should open.  This is where you could select the "save as PDF" option.  When the scan finishes, you'll get another window with the options including one to scan another page to the same pdf file.  See the "Scanning Special Projects" section of your User Guide.

    For further detail, read your User Guide

    User's Guide (HTML Version)

    User's Guide (Downloadable/Printable Version)

    Epson manuals page:  http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV\_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=183406&prodoid=63091353&infoType=Doc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-19T09:14:38+00:00

    BP

    I have included a picture of my screen showing you how I cannot fully open the scan settings . I click on it and it stays at the bottom . When I point to it as u see in my pic , I can see there is stuff written but unless I can maximize it I can't read it. There is no option to maximize when right clicking either . And double clicking isn't enlarging it . 

    Could this be a certain setting as well??

    😀

    LA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-19T08:57:40+00:00

    Omg it worked I figured out how to uninstall and it's perfect . Your amazing :) can't thank you enough 😀😀😀.

    any chance you can help me set this printer to scan to email ? I don't want it going to outlook but a personal email instead . 

    I am using the Epson all in one 4540.

    i can't figure out how to do this and to change the format from JPEG to PDF . 

    This probably seems easy to you . Been in event manager and tried on the printer and it won't work

    I so appreciate your help and knowledge :)

    Thanks

    LA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-04-19T07:16:28+00:00

    I think I did this right. When I uncheck blackberry ONLY IT WORKS . When i include it the scanner doesn't work. So this looks like the culprit. It's called blackberry link communication (research in motion). We no longer have a blackberry now anyhow . How do I remove this ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments